Where/how to load data into shares?

strats

Where/how to load data into shares?

Postby strats » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 am

So, I've successfully installed Fedora12 and Amahi.
Now I want to copy all the media off of my USB backup drive into the shares.

Do I just copy and paste into /var/hda/files/music for all the music files?
Or do I copy into the actual disc directory on my second hard drive?

Is there a transfer tool like TeraCopy available for Linux?

Also, can iTunes access the directory /hda/files/music if I want to store my library there?
I eventually want to setup Picasa like this with /hda/files/pictures. Is this doable?

I know these are extremely simple questions, but I'm at a loss now on where to store this data off my drive into the Amahi system. Thanks for the help.

sgtfoo

Re: Where/how to load data into shares?

Postby sgtfoo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 am

http://wiki.amahi.org is your best friend.

lookup shares.

Once you've got shares working properly on all networked PCs, just offload your data from any machine thru the network to the HDA shared folder you create via the HDA interface.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

strats

Postby strats » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 am

Ok, so best way is through the network?

I was hoping to connect the external drive through USB, since that's where all the data is currently.
I have 1TB of media, so I was looking to do this faster by connecting to the Amahi box directly and not tie up the network bandwidth.

Does Amahi store the files in /var/hda/files with some kind of special algorithm/procedure or can I access that share directly from the Amahi box? What is that location usually on the physical drive? i.e. /var/hda/files/sdb1/files/music

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:32 am

Hello,

There are two ways you can approach this task.

1. Connect your USB hard drive to your HDA and copy the files from it to the appropriate share location. For example, to copy the contents of your music folder to your hda share use command line.

cp -r usb-drive path /var/hda/files/music.

You can also use the Fedora Desktop File Manager for your HDA as well. Once you plug in the USB Drive, it will be seen by Fedora Desktop. If you are running headless, then you will need to check it via command line. It will be mounted in /media directory on your HDA.

2. Mount your USB hard drive permanently and point the HDA music share to your USB drive. This is done via the Amahi Dashboard Shares tab. There is a place where you can change the path to point to where ever you desire.

The Amahi shares are Samba shares, so nothing special about them that cannot be simply modified via the dashboard or command line.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

strats

Postby strats » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Ok, thanks for all the help.

I guess my issue is that I copied a few directories over, but I can't see them from within Amahi or from my Win7 laptop.
This may be a Samba or other setup issue.

I'll continue to copy my data in to the shares and read up some more on Samba.
Thanks you both again for the feedback.