OwnCloud 9 one-click?

Epedrego

OwnCloud 9 one-click?

Postby Epedrego » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Is the one click install not available for version 9? I'm considering installing it, but I really don't want to over complicate my HDA. I would love the functionality OwnCloud has to offer as it appears some of the basic Amahi features are a little short of what I'm looking for. It seems like the trade off is system simplicity vs functionality. From what I can tell, getting into OwnCloud 9 requires installing 8 hen upgrading to 9. Seems like a nightmare for a novice like me. Or is it? Also, managing OwnCloud in general seems like more of task than just running stock Amahi.

Any feedback for this noob would be great. Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OwnCloud 9 one-click?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:04 am

Is the one click install not available for version 9?
We only maintain apps for the latest stable release of Amahi. owncloud-9 App may not be available if you are not using Amahi 9.
From what I can tell, getting into OwnCloud 9 requires installing 8 hen upgrading to 9. Seems like a nightmare for a novice like me. Or is it?
I presume you are on Amahi 7. If so, upgrading to Amahi 8 and 9 is not bad. They guidance in the wiki is pretty straight forward. Although we recommend a new install vs upgrade, there have been many who successfully upgraded.
Also, managing OwnCloud in general seems like more of task than just running stock Amahi.
Depends on what you want from owncloud-9 App. Most are moving to nextcloud-10 App since it's actively maintained.

Also you can manually install ownCloud 9 if you wish. See the ownCloud wiki guidance.

Hope this answers your questions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Epedrego

Postby Epedrego » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks big, as always!

I was not aware of the backstory. Now that I've read up on it, it seems Nextcloud would make more sense for me.

I see that NextCloud 10 is only available for the test group. Is there a single click install for NC9 if I join the test group(assuming it's open to anyone)?

By the way, I am running Amahi 9 on Fedora 23 and I dont have a single click install option for OwnCloud 9. Not that it maters anymore, but thought I would mention that.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm

There is a one-click install for owncloud-9 App in Amahi 9. It may have a convenience fee.

If you want to help test nextcloud-10 App, that can be arranged. All we ask is you report how it works in bug 2182.

Please let us know if you are interested.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Epedrego

Postby Epedrego » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 am

I would love to try NextCloud 10! Please let me know next steps.

My only concern is the complexity of backing it up to an external drive. I plan on backing my HDA up using rsnapshot on a regular basis. If my HDA ever craps out, I would like easy access to backup files on the external usb drive. I guess my question is how different would it be backing up NextCloud data vs simply backing up files that are managed manually? I feel more comfortable with the latter, obviously, since I know what files I put where, but I lose that visibility with NC.

Thanks,

Ed

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:42 pm

Probably best to back up files without using Nextcloud. That's not what the app is designed to do.

If you are still willing to test it, please let me know. I can give you access.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Epedrego

Postby Epedrego » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Definitely interested.

I'm not trying to used NextCloud as a back up. I want the functionality NextCloud offers and I also want to back up all my files as well. It seems it would be more complicated to back them up with ranapshot on a regular basis if I do decide to use NextCloud. I'm trying to gain insight on how a backup would be managed when it's a backup of NextCloud managed files. If my HDA dies will I have a spaghetti bowl of my files with a mess of NextCloud generated files?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:47 am

I want the functionality NextCloud offers and I also want to back up all my files as well.
Understand. I have given you access. Request you provide feedback in bug 2182
If my HDA dies will I have a spaghetti bowl of my files with a mess of NextCloud generated files?
Depends on how you have your files set up.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager