Can I do this with Amahi?

mcf57

Can I do this with Amahi?

Postby mcf57 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm new to both the world of Linux and this Amahi software (never used either). I consider myself above average when it comes to computer knowledge. I have put together some XP based PCs & can usually diagnose PC problems by myself without having to take it to a shop.

That being said, I have an older DELL desktop (DELL 2350) that isn't really being used anymore & I was looking to maybe turn it into some sort of simple media server/NAS device. I have several older IDE drives (80-160GB) that are no longer being used and have been wiped clean. I thought I could throw them into this DELL desktop (w/ Amahi installed) and then hard wire connect it to my home network via my router. Then any of my PCs and/or media playback devices (Seagate, WDTV, etc.) would be able to see the files located on it. Is this something Amahi can handle and do for my situation?

If it is, I was probably gonna put in about 3 or 4 of these extra IDE drives, but hoping that they could all be merged into one BIG drive somehow so ALL the room can be mapped to other computers via one drive letter. Is this possible?

radioz

Re: Can I do this with Amahi?

Postby radioz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:16 pm

I think Amahi should be able to handle your needs just fine.

Good luck!

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 am

yup.

Greyhole is the storage pooling that Amahi uses and will make all your drives (except your OS partition) pool into a single space for shared files and folders.

The amahi-DLNA server will let you stream from your video/music shares to any other device on your network that supports such.

have fun!
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

stueyboy

Postby stueyboy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:58 am

This is exactly what I did, with almost the same Dell desktop as well! I've rebuilt Amahi several times and now have 2 500Gb drives in the server and a 500Gb NAS for backup. I don't use greyhole though as I don't think it supports samba or cifs shares so I use Crashplan for backups