Fedora 14 alpha - seeking testers!

cpg
Administrator

Fedora 14 alpha - seeking testers!

Postby cpg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello!

Thanks to diligent work from bigfoot65 (huge kudos!), Amahi is starting to take a few steps on the freshly released Fedora 14.

There are a few known issues, to wit:
  • Apps are not showing yet, as we're just starting to test them (we are building a small "robot army" for automatic testing)
  • There is a critical issue with setting the timezone for PHP apps (this was crashing the installer badly). We filed a bug upstream.
  • There is a huge dependency warning on the installer. Press continue and it should all work normally.
  • The Plug Edition is not on F14 yet (this is expected to take a little while, following the ARM port)
However, we're looking for a few brave testers to give it a try on test systems, not "production."

DVD ISO download links:
Use http://f14.amahi.org as the repo added at install time.

Check the Amahi on Fedora 14 wiki for the download links and all the latest details.

Note that updating from Amahi+F12 to Amahi on F14 is not recommended yet. Also, it takes a LONG time due to the number of downloads, if done over the network. This is something we're interested in testing in an isolated environment (again, not production).

Thanks and have a happy hacking weekend!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sgtfoo

Re: Fedora 14 alpha - seeking testers!

Postby sgtfoo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 pm

once my f14 torrent is done, I'm gonna attempt an upgrade of amahi f12 to amahi f14 on my VM.
Should be done by Monday. Will try to post issues as I catch em.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:28 pm

awesome. could you take a snapshot, though?

we'd like to make some (somewhat steep) changes like upgrade the mod_rails module, etc. and the f12->f14 transition would be best tested after we do this update ( as well as perhaps some updates to the platform).

coool!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:38 am

Update ...

Just released a major major update to the repo with "passenger" .. the core of the runtime for the ruby on rails environment under apache.

Anyone want to try installing from scratch? :)

When things are running, it should be at 3.0.0-8 ... and not miss any dependencies:

Code: Select all

$ rpm -q rubygem-passenger rubygem-passenger-3.0.0-8.... $

LGSONE

Postby LGSONE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:14 am

Ruby was the biggest PITA when i did an upgrade from 13 to 14. the hda packages had dependency issues with ruby-docs and using --skip-broken was not able to fix them. I uninstalled one package the ruby was dependent on and it finally did a complete reinstall via yum and now I have no dependency issues or any problems with 14 as far as updates go. I wanted to but was unable to find an easy want to uninstall the amahi package and then do a complete reinstall with the same install code I had used months ago. Issues now as they were with 13 are the apps not showing up in the available and or installed tabs in the hda webpage. And the ushare, mediatomb, dlna, zoneminder and a few other webapps were not able to be viewed via there webpages. I use a e3000 router with dd-wrt and Optware. It is the DHCP and the intenet DNS name resolver. I have the Amahi server as the secondary DNS local server in DD-wrt so the dhcp clients get the hda as the second dns server available. I am very interested on the DD-wrt router control and the VPN from the HDA. My current HDA vpn that comes with Amahi works great. Seeing these two work together would be fantastic. I have played with Linux for years but just did not have the time to become proficent with it until seeing something like Fedora and Amahi make it much easier from an installation and management standpoint. It is replacing a SBS2003 server and a ISA 2006 Server. The combo of these two servers in a home was fantastic but the management of two servers had me spending too much time for simple tasks. I put these into production enviornments all the time but I see where Amahi and Fedora can be very tempting to implement.

Anyhow, I'm happy to contribute the best I can.

Its going to 70 in KC today in November... going fishing..

LGSONE

LGSONE

Postby LGSONE » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:26 am

just tried the ruby passenger update and fedora 14 with amahi says

package rubygem-passenger-2.2.11-7.fc12.i686 already installed and latest version

I typed in yum install rubygem-passenger-3.0.0.8.fc14.i686 and it says no package available.

Some one smack me and tell me what I'm doing wrong please.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:37 am

Is this an upgrade or fresh install? I just tried a new install and had some issues. If you could please add to the Fedora 14 wiki (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Fedora_14 under a heading like Upgrade Fedora 13 to 14 the probs you encounter that would be great.

We wanna capture as much as we can in a central location outside the forums. This will ensure others testing can find the info easily.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 am

Hello,

I guess to test this I will have to install Fedora complete (3,4GB) instead of an express CD (410MB) ? In that case I get the impression that I will be testing Fedora at least as much as Amahi. :? Not having a great experience with installing Fedora in the past, I'm not sure if I would want to do that.

Off topic: Why are you guys (still) using such a fast moving target as Fedora as a server base? I would think that CentOS or Debian would be much more rewarding for al the hard work. (don't really need an answer to this ... ;) )

Richard

dizzy1

Postby dizzy1 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Did anyone else have to add the main fedora 14 - i386 repo to avoid getting a large list of missing dependencies?

spatialguru

Postby spatialguru » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:46 pm

Okay, I'll try the upgrade too :) I'll see how well it handles an FC8 -> FC14 upgrade!
Just kidding :lol:
I'm wiping this old mac mini clean to test it out first. About time hehe.