Help with disk setup and partitioning for 1st timer

strats

Help with disk setup and partitioning for 1st timer

Postby strats » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 am

Hello all,
I am trying to create a file and media server for iTunes and Picasa(might have to abandon if not possible) to access from my Win7 laptop and my Ubuntu w/ XBMC HTPC. I have the following disks at my disposal:
40GB IDE
80GB IDE
320GB SATA
1.5TB SATA

I installed Fedora12 the first time and it automagically created an LVM partition of 1.7TB and Amahi was up and running.
However, I wanted feedback on if this is the right way to proceed, since I read somewhere that I wouldn't want to use Greyhole on the same partition as the / and swap ?

I was going to use the 40GB for my root(~38GB partition) and swap(2GB partition since I have 4GB of RAM) partitions and the 320GB and 1.5TB as my Greyhole or keep the 1.5TB as data storage and 320GB as backup for irreplaceable pictures and home movies.

I would appreciate any feedback on the setup and whether LVM is the way to go?
Also, I don't know the exact procedure on NOT installing with LVM, since it was automatic the first time.
Thanks in advance for you expertise and wisdom. Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

sgtfoo

Re: Help with disk setup and partitioning for 1st timer

Postby sgtfoo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:44 am

For my first amahi install I tried LVM. It was a huge PITA.

Just let Amahi's Greyhole integration take care of all your storage outside of the root OS partition.

a good config for you, if I was to set it up would be like this:

40gb hd = 30gb ext3 partition for / (root OS) + 4gb partition for swap + remainder empty just in case
80gb + 320gb + 1.5tb = ext3 partitions. Set the 80gb as your /var/hda/files storage drive and then add the other two drives manually via: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... o_your_HDA

Then don't forget to use the storage pooling within the HDA/setup once it's all running.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch