DLNA and mp3 tags

johnpollaert

DLNA and mp3 tags

Postby johnpollaert » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:05 am

Hello,
I have installed the DLNA server to stream my mp3 files over the network. This is working fine, but I have one problem.
I have alot of albums with different artists. If one album has 20 different artists, then the album is also listed 20 times in the album list. All with 1 song in it. I'd like to have these all together in 1 album. No matter is the artists are different. As long as the album name is the same, it should be put together. Is it possible to change this setting somwhere?

cpg
Administrator

Re: DLNA and mp3 tags

Postby cpg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:40 pm

dunno. maybe make a playlist?

but this is too abstract a question. can you make it concrete with details?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

johnpollaert

Postby johnpollaert » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 am

I have made some screenshots to let you see what the problem is:

http://www.084nummer.nl/pics/dlna1.jpg
This is a screenshot of windows media player. You can see that 1 album is listed several times.

http://www.084nummer.nl/pics/dlna2.jpg
This is a picture of the mp3 tags for this album.

It doesn't matter if i view the albums in other software or hardware players. xbmc (sw) and the freecom musicpall (hw) are displaying the albums the same way. So the problem is in the dlna server.

I have more than 500 cd's I like to import in the dlna server, and this way the album list is getting far to long. So how can I change this?

Thanks for helping.

servalan

Postby servalan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:35 am

This may not, but you could try using the 'albumartist' tag.

Albumartist is designed to cover this exact situation, where an album has multiple artists. I tag all my compilations with an albumartist of 'Various'. This allows me to group them correctly using Rockbox (an MP3 player firmware replacement).

However, I have no idea whether the DNLA specification supports the albumartist tag in the same way.

Are there any DNLA forums to ask the question on? It seems like it is really a DNLA question, as the server must control the way that the metadata is presented/exposed to the clients.