Default IP Address

cartesian

Default IP Address

Postby cartesian » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am

I have just installed Amahi successfully but I cannot ping my router or get to the outside internet.

I think I have accepted a default ip address for my router during the installation which is not the ip address of my router.

Is there a way I can change the ip address Amahi has for my router?

Thanks.

Huxy

Re: Default IP Address

Postby Huxy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 am

The system is running Fedora so you can adjust settings the same way with any Fedora based distro.
You can check the current gateway by listing the routing table.
route -n
Will list the routing table. Specifically look for the destination 0.0.0.0 which should list the gateway IP. If that's incorrect you can edit the network adapter config to change the default route.
nano -w /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
Change the line GATEWAY to read the correct IP. Then either reboot or restart the networking
/etc/init.d/network restart

Huxy

Postby Huxy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 am

In addition I just found another post where cpg mentions a script already exists for changing the gateway. This is probably the preferred way of changing the gw.
there is a script called hda-change-gw to change the gateway (and network) address
http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=844

cartesian

Postby cartesian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks for the help guys.
I'm newish to using Linux and have not used nano before.

I make the change to the file but I can't seem to save the changes. If I press Ctrl-X and then 'y' for yes it doesn't seem to save the change. I am using a wrong keyboard combination or does my user have the right priviliges to be able to make a change to this file?

Thanks for your help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:42 am

You don't have the correct permissions to modify the file. Become root user by entering su - at the prompt and enter your root password. Then edit the file and save it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Huxy

Postby Huxy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:43 am

As a side note, you will find there are strict permissions on config files in linux. Most if not all will require you to perform editing actions using the root account.

cartesian

Postby cartesian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 am

thank guys, that's worked a treat

:D

DethB4DCaf
Location: Somewhere between Denver and Boulder in beautiful Colorado, USA

Postby DethB4DCaf » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm

So as a further addition, I noticed this same problem when attempting to build a second [and third!] Amahi server and unless I am mistaken, it's because of THIS page --> https://www.amahi.org/system/new

If you wander over to that page, which is the first one you see when you go to build a [new] hda, the default gateway settings there are 192.168.1.1

I don't think this is because I am starting another HDA because I see these settings whilst I am working on my THIRD and as a testcase to prove I wasn't seeing things (-; just now which would have been my FOURTH hda.

Did I like, find a bug that needs a bug report or is there some other test that I need to do to validate that this is a legitimate bug or....??? Please advise and I shall be HAPPY to assist... (-; (-; Scott
--
DethB4DCaf: My current Amahi server is a possessed little Intel NUC featuring an Intel Core i3-6100U Processor / 4GB RAM / 2 TB remote storage (-:

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Don't believe this is a bug. These settings need to be updated by the user. I think this is just a default which may apply to some and not to others. Have to put something there and that was the choice made.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2