Ready for testing: CrashPlan

gboudreau

Re: Ready for testing: CrashPlan

Postby gboudreau » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:04 am

Would be nice to see a web interface to manage the crashplan client. Has anyone approached crashplan to see if this is in the works or to suggest it?
CEO never replied my email about this.
Last edited by gboudreau on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Guillaume Boudreau

jiml

Postby jiml » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:19 am

Using CrashPlan on a headless server is possile see http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/h ... ess_client I've tried it and it works but why isn't there an option to simply choose a different config file.

Jim!

Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit)

gboudreau

Postby gboudreau » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:12 am

Using CrashPlan on a headless server is possile see http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/h ... ess_client I've tried it and it works but why isn't there an option to simply choose a different config file.

Jim!
While this is the official way to administer a remote CrashPlan, it's easier to "ssh -X" to your HDA, and launch CrashPlanDesktop from there. This is documented on the CrashPlan wiki page.
- Guillaume Boudreau

trucklover

Postby trucklover » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 am

I am a beta tester for Crashplan and it is working just fine, Crashplan that is. The hda is backing the contents of the hard drives in the server to another remote server of mine just like it should. However, in the hda settings page which can be found at Apps>Servers>Crashplan, it shows that the Crashplan backup engine is not running given by the red circle. It should be green if it was indeed running. I ssh'd into the headless hda with ssh -X and launched Crashplan to confirm that all was working. Perhaps it's a problem with amahi and how it checks to see if the java backup process is running or not.

joeaverge

Postby joeaverge » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Would be nice to see a web interface to manage the crashplan client. Has anyone approached crashplan to see if this is in the works or to suggest it?
CEO never replied my email about this.
Not to worry gboudreau...Tried the ssh-x approach. Works GREAT!!!

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:16 pm

I like crashplan, but my gripe is that it seems to require a persistent internet connection.

Has anyone tested if scheduled backups will run (client to HDA, local network) if the internet goes down?

dogzrule

Postby dogzrule » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:28 pm

So perhaps a dual approach then....

HDA is the onsite master for backups. With the clients doing a backup offsite to crashplan central?

I am trying to cover my data incase some explodes so any suggestions are welcome.
Pingjockey - My suggestion to you would be to build a second Linux box and use rsync to back up your shares. Whether the second box is local or remote is entirely up to you. If all you're concerned with is backing up the data on the shares and not fire/flood/trees-falling-on-your-house/etc then local should be fine.

You'll have to set up rsync manually, and maybe set up a cron job to enable automatic sync-ups.

http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/

Unlike backing up to CP Central, that option is free (except for the hardware of course).

Hope that helps.

dforbes

Postby dforbes » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 am

I am a beta tester for Crashplan and it is working just fine, Crashplan that is. The hda is backing the contents of the hard drives in the server to another remote server of mine just like it should. However, in the hda settings page which can be found at Apps>Servers>Crashplan, it shows that the Crashplan backup engine is not running given by the red circle. It should be green if it was indeed running. I ssh'd into the headless hda with ssh -X and launched Crashplan to confirm that all was working. Perhaps it's a problem with amahi and how it checks to see if the java backup process is running or not.
I had this problem; it's because CrashPlan as installed by default doesn't put it's pid file where Amahi and particularly monit expect it to be. It's a pretty easy one to tweak manually (which is what I've done) and I'm sure the guys will fix it shortly:

http://bugs.amahi.org/issues/show/458#change-1281

Apart from that issue, I've had CrashPlan running happily both as a backup source and target on my main box for a while now. Is there much that needs to be done before this app can go live? I'm ready and willing to try things out if it would help move it along?

Dave.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:35 am

It's on the list to go live, just not sure when. We will be testing a batch of apps soon to be released.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

theawesomes

Postby theawesomes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Any update on when this is planned to go live? I recently started using Crash Plan, and just found out about Amahi. It seems like a match made in heaven. I would love to use my Amahi server to hold all files that are in use on my network, and have the Amahi server backup to CP. :)