Simple access to Amahi apps from the internet

timcart

Simple access to Amahi apps from the internet

Postby timcart » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:02 am

The latest version of Amahi server is installed on a laptop on my network and is working fine. Various apps have been installed (including Feng Office) and they too are working fine. The server is running headless and I manage it and the apps from another laptop (running Windows 7), either through a browser or by using a VNC viewer. No problems so far.

Now here comes the problem that is driving me nuts. I want to make one of the apps (Feng Office, aka foffice) accessible from the internet. (Please note that I do not want to make the server itself accessible from the internet, nor any other apps on the server: just Feng Office.)

So (as per instructions on the wiki), I have: (i) forwarded an external TCP port on my router to port 80 on the LAN and (ii) edited the conf file belonging to the app so that it includes "username.yourhda.com" as a server alias.

But it doesn't work. So am I missing something? Is there more that I need to do? Do I need to include the port number in the ServerAlias definition in the conf file? What?

Any advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

itfarmer

Re: Simple access to Amahi apps from the internet

Postby itfarmer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 pm

You are not alone on that one, same happens here I am unable to get Feng Office 1.7 to work via the internet. Intranet is fine.

Some how when you use foffice.<yourdomain> it maps back to Http://foffice an you get no response.

I pulled my hair out to the point that I now canned it and moved back to WHS for the time being.

H.

timcart

Postby timcart » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:54 am

Thanks for the reply.

May I clarify one point: is it correct that, in general, the ony two steps required to make a single app visible to the internet as username.yourhda.com are (a) port forwarding on your router and (b) editing the conf file pertaining to the app? Or have I missed other adjustments that also need to be made?

In other words, if I did the same thing for an app other than Feng Office, that app should be visible to the internet -- right? So I can be confident that the problem I am having is related to this particular app -- is that correct?

If so, is anyone likely to fix the problem? I can see from other postings that others have had problems with Feng Office for a year or more. . . .

Is there any other web-office/collaboration app that can work with Amahi and do as good a job as Feng Office seems to be capable of doing?

Regards.

whetu

Postby whetu » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:27 pm

I'd have thought that for external access the Amahi devs would use something like https://username.yourhda.com/application

e.g. https://timcart.yourhda.com/foffice

cale250

Postby cale250 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 pm

It's been a while since I've worked with FengOffice (actually, I used it when it was still OpenGoo). I do think you should probably look into two things:

- If I remember correctly, the software installer does ask for a hostname. Since this is already set up for you with Amahi, doing some digging for the configuration file is a good idea. If you need help finding it, I believe FengOffice still has forums.

- Double check any htaccess files (if any) located in the FengOffice directories. They may be blocking things by overriding Apache.

switch48

Postby switch48 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi guys did you sort this out ???..

Did you remember to stop and restart services after changing config file