Changing default gateway and IP address

blackraven36

Changing default gateway and IP address

Postby blackraven36 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:26 am

I have registered with Amahi and used the code I was given to install. However, I did not enter the gateway and other information during install. Now I am having issues using the home.com domain for the internal network, making it impossible to use any of the apps.

As a note, I will point out that I have switched off DHCP because I am using a dorm network and I cant have the machine giving out IP adresses.

Also on a side note, if anyone can help me with this. I can only access the file server from windows explorer by using its ip adress (thus, the network share name is \\<ip>). I have not been able to to use the \\hda or any other hostname with the machine. It would be useful because the server is used by multiple people and remembering an IP can be annoying.

If you need more info tell me. I wont bother to list the specs as for this instance they aren't important (Unless you really need them).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Changing default gateway and IP address

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:56 am

Hello,

If you have a wireless router, you can restrict the connection to your server. This will allow you to leave the HDA DHCP server going and others cannot connect. You can also enable security like WEP which prevents anyone from connecting without the passphrase. Turning off the HDA DHCP server has consequences. See http://www.amahi.org/faq#can-i-disable- ... -amahi-hda.

If you provided gateway and other info when registering, you do not need to provide it during install. It is associated to your install code.

Have you tried looking here for help http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Network_troubleshooting?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bratsadtar

Postby bratsadtar » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 am

I too, am having this exact same problem. Funny thing (I'm not afraid to say) is the pointer to "Generalization" of an answer, actually does nothing to address this situation.

In as much, I have attempted to Re-install the product for like a 4th time now...only to find the exact same problem, consistantly.

So, I have to ask...is there a "STEP" missing from your "INSTALLATION GUIDE"?

I have attempted to change the "WORKGROUP NAME" only to find, that after every install of ANY APPLICATIONS, the APPS always wants to POINT TO HOME.COM.

What's up with this?

Seems, changing the workgroup has NO EFFECT!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 am

I am sorry if my previous answer was not helpful. For me, it is difficult to troubleshoot issues without seeing the problem first hand. As far as I know, the install guide is up to date. It is designed to get the HDA set up for the average user with default setting. By no means is it geared towards custom configurations.

As for the home.com, well that is the hda hostname. It can be changed, but takes a few more steps. Here is a link that explains how to change it (http://www.labtestproject.com/using_lin ... _on_fedora). By default, all installs result in the host name being set to hda.home.com.

Hope this helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

xlnt

Postby xlnt » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi, I need to change either the installcode or ip and host name to match a new network setup.

Is there an easy way of doing this?
Without reinstalling Amahi?