Problems with video driver

ReneZ

Problems with video driver

Postby ReneZ » Sat May 22, 2010 8:14 am

I seem to get increasing problems with F12. On a regular basis the screen blacks out. When you move the mouse at times it breaks the video signal (monitor indicates it wants to go in sleep mode). There is no way you can get the normal screen back and you end up having to do a hard reset. I'm using an old computer with an embedded Intel chip 845G. Any advise or experience how to ensure I have the right driver? I noted that after the last Fedora update the start-up symbol changed from the Logo in the centre of the screen to the bar at the bottom. Appreciate your advise!
Cheers, Rene

Evo D51S, 16Gb SSD, 3Ware 9500 Raid, 2 x 500Gb in Raid1

cpg
Administrator

Re: Problems with video driver

Postby cpg » Sat May 22, 2010 10:38 am

Hi ReneZ,

Get an inexpensive video card?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

cale250

Postby cale250 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

I agree with cpg. You'll need to get a new video card (you'll probably need a PCI one, since most companies that included the chip didn't include an AGP slot). My current server has Fedora 10 (Amahi 4) running on it with an 845 chip at 640x480 resolution; the drivers are rather incomplete for our series of chipsets, unfortunately. :(

hfxrzw

Postby hfxrzw » Sun May 23, 2010 2:56 am

Should haver expected that one - buy a big expensive computer with top of the line parts and all your issues are solved :lol: No worries, it's just fun to get it working. The old beast has a card slot for video, but it needs to be small/half height. I am trying to run it headless, therefore up to now no investments in the video department up to now. I connect a screen when I'm changing things through a kvm switch, as restarting and mucking about at times looses the VNC connection.