How do I *test* Dynamic DNS b4 adding an application?

DethB4DCaf
Location: Somewhere between Denver and Boulder in beautiful Colorado, USA

How do I *test* Dynamic DNS b4 adding an application?

Postby DethB4DCaf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:38 am

Greetings all --

So I am not a Linux n00b and I know more about networking and the *NIXes than I probably should to be a "normal" person.... but I am a bit... confoozed. I have experience with routers and port forwarding and other administrivia, but that doesn't mean I can ask a coherent question, so I apologize in advance for any problems (-; (-;

In a nutshell, how does one test that dynamic DNS is working correctly BEFORE I modify any files so I can make sure that I am looking in the correct location?

As my first test case, I would like to utilize my dynamic DNS address to host the fantasy football league manager.

The name of my hda is 'DethB4DCaf', so I should be able to use the Dynamic DNS to surf to 'DethB4DCaf.yourhda.com', correct?

*Before* I forward any ports or modify any configuration files or change anything from a default, what should I see when I surf to that address?

Without thinking it through too much (-; I suspect that my expectation is that there is no "default" Amahi page such as one sees for a ['vanilla'] apache server out of the box? ["Congratulations your Apache server is up and running...."], correct? Instead, I'll get ye olde 400 or 500 series http error message about the server not responding in a timely manner or something like that, correct?

That is, there is no way to validate that the Dynamic DNS is working until I actually configure the router and the config file, correct?

Thanks for attempting to understand my confusion :? (-; (-;

....DethB4DCaf......
--
DethB4DCaf: My current Amahi server is a possessed little Intel NUC featuring an Intel Core i3-6100U Processor / 4GB RAM / 2 TB remote storage (-:

cpg
Administrator

Re: How do I *test* Dynamic DNS b4 adding an application?

Postby cpg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Did you check the wiki page on hosting your own web site?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

DethB4DCaf
Location: Somewhere between Denver and Boulder in beautiful Colorado, USA

Re: How do I *test* Dynamic DNS b4 adding an application?

Postby DethB4DCaf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Yes, I did check that web page, and since it didn't answer my question, but was the actual *source* of my question, I ended up here.

Anyone can _claim_ that something such as "Dynamic DNS" is 'always working', much like the other Amahi applications, but that doesn't mean that they ARE actually running. For example, right now I can randomly look at my system log files and see error messages for 'amahi-transmission' and 'mt-daapd' NOT running in my current [local] 'monit' log file. But at least in this case I have somewhere to start my research for what the current problems *might* be for these two applications. [ My guess is MONIT not configured correctly *again* ]

Before I invest the time to configure several applications that I need to support on my local servers, I am researching how one might validate/verify/understand/debug the point where my little world connects with the tubes of the Interwebs for when future problems -- and there will be problems -- happen.

Given all of the computers and iTouchs and other devices I have at home are all _within_ my network, the question here is how might one validate what an _external_ person might see when the [eventually] are directed to DethB4DCaf.yourhda.com [or whatever alias I pay $$ for], and *much* more importantly, what will this external person see if there is no problem on *my* computer or home network but within some external component, possibly associated with Amahi, as a painful example in this case (-; ?

A fantasy football program and a [Drupal?] page for the family website is one thing, but I am also considering running something slightly more 'work-related' from my home servers in the same manner as I did many moons ago as a computer consultant.
--
DethB4DCaf: My current Amahi server is a possessed little Intel NUC featuring an Intel Core i3-6100U Processor / 4GB RAM / 2 TB remote storage (-: