Accessing HDA shares over the Internet?

ghermy

Accessing HDA shares over the Internet?

Postby ghermy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi. I'm transitioning from Windows Home Server :evil: to Amahi :D . Everything is working well inside my network. All HDA shares are accessible.

My question is what I need to do to make the shares available over the Internet. In Windows Home Server, I could access my shares with any browser. I just had to give the proper password. Can I do the same in Amahi, or am I required to install the VPN software on the client side?

I have DHCP turned off on my HDA. DHCP is being handled by my router. When going through the setup, I said to give HDA an IP of 192.168.0.11. When I look at my IP table on my router, the HDA is getting 192.168.0.123. When I look at the settings in Fedora for eth0, it is assigned 192.168.0.11. What is happening behind the scenes? Is 192.168.0.11 something that is used for VPN? Which port would I forward to from the outside 192.168.0.11 or 192.168.0.123.

Per the wiki, I did forward UDP port 1194. I'm not at my Amahi box right now, I can't remember which IP addresses I forwarded to. Either way, I'm not sure which is the correct one.

Thanks,
Greg

ghermy

Re: Accessing HDA shares over the Internet?

Postby ghermy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

I ran the Windows VPN client and it shows it is connected (green "A" in the taskbar). I tried my url nickname.yourhda.com and it doesn't connect. I tried once with HDA DHCP on and once with HDA DHCP off.

My Network is setup as:
Network: 192.168.0.*
HDA IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Network Gateway: 192.168.0.1

I'm forwarding public UDP port 1194 to private UDP port 1194.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

bvone21

Postby bvone21 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 am

I'm a noob, and have the same question. I noticed you posted on 2/8 have you figured it out yet? I've just installed yesterday so I haven't had time to tinker with it myself. I've noticed documentation for Amahi is a bit thin....it would be helpful for new users to beef up the wiki, etc...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Once you have HDA Connect working, enter http://hda like you would on your network. You should be able to access everything as if you were in your local network.

The yourname.yourhda.com is not used once the VPN is connected. You can also access your shares by entering \\hda in the run box for Windows Clients.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bvone21

Postby bvone21 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Once you have HDA Connect working, enter http://hda like you would on your network. You should be able to access everything as if you were in your local network.

The yourname.yourhda.com is not used once the VPN is connected. You can also access your shares by entering \\hda in the run box for Windows Clients.
That would make sense...wasn't thinking. I'll try and remember that for when I attempt it later today. Thank you for the reply.

b3orion

Postby b3orion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I found out a way to access my HDA from the internet!
I can get to it's setup screen (by going to HDAname.yourhda.com) on any computer, but I am still trying to get the shares working...
What I did was enable "DMZ" on my router. I then set it to the IP address of my HDA as the destination IP address, and now I can access it over the internet!
Here's a blurb from my Cisco E4200 Manual about DMZ:"The DMZ feature allows one network device to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service, such as online gaming. The Router forwards all the ports at the same time to the DMZ device."
Hope I could help some people!

ciscoh

Postby ciscoh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:32 pm

I can get to it's setup screen (by going to HDAname.yourhda.com) on any computer, but I am still trying to get the shares working...
What I did was enable "DMZ" on my router. I then set it to the IP address of my HDA as the destination IP address, and now I can access it over the internet!
Here's a blurb from my Cisco E4200 Manual about DMZ:"The DMZ feature allows one network device to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service, such as online gaming. The Router forwards all the ports at the same time to the DMZ device."
you just opened a big gaping hole in your network a semi could drive through. I would disable DMZ and figure out how to use the VPN ASAP.

sdionne000

Postby sdionne000 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:07 pm

you just opened a big gaping hole in your network a semi could drive through. I would disable DMZ and figure out how to use the VPN ASAP.
I am searching for the exact port to be able to see the HDA page over the internet but I cant seem to find it.
would you know where I could find all the ports that amahi uses and their use so that I can poke limited holes to my server?

b3orion

Postby b3orion » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 pm

I am searching for the exact port to be able to see the HDA page over the internet but I cant seem to find it.
would you know where I could find all the ports that amahi uses and their use so that I can poke limited holes to my server?
I know, it's a security issue. I only enabled it to test if it work and I could access it. It's been off ever since...
I'm not sure of the exact port, but I think that would be a safer way to expose your HDA to the internet; or just use the VPN... I like the VPN. It works with my phone :)

grahamr

Postby grahamr » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm

If all you want to do is to open up a port to hit the management screen from outside your network, open up port 80 and point it along to the internal ip of the hda. What I did was to redirect a random port to port 80 on the hda. That will give you access to the web interface at http://yourname.yourhda.com:randomport - it still doesn't give you access to the file server or files though.