Printer sharing on Windows 7

DaMerc91

Printer sharing on Windows 7

Postby DaMerc91 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 am

Hi,

I installed my amahi server a few days ago, but since then i still haven't been able to connect my Windows 7 computers to the printer shared on the HDA.
I also have 2 Windows XP computers and they connect normally (like it's said in the manual on wiki amahi)

When I search for the printer on my Windows 7 computers, they find the printer but the moment I try to make connection with it, it gives following error:

Windows cannot connect to printer
Operation failed with error 0x0000000d

I have got two desktops and one laptop with Windows 7. Both the desktops are Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, the laptop is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Can somebody please help me out?
Thx

Damerc91
Qui vit d'espoir meurt de désir

lou1z

Re: Printer sharing on Windows 7

Postby lou1z » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 am

try....
control panel>admin tools>local security settings>local security policy

1. network security: set lanman manager to: send lm and ntlm responses
2. network security: set minimum session security for ntlm ssp clients to: disable 128bit security

reboot

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 am

the other thing to try is to make sure you are logged into samba by trying one of the shares, e.g. \\hda\movies

i really wish this was more consistent. some clients do some things, others do something else.

my experience in windows 7 was great. it saw the printer queues (i have one for black&white, one for draft color and one for full color), and the drivers were included already ... it was all nice and easy (it was windows 7 ultimate - not sure that matters).
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

DaMerc91

Postby DaMerc91 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:09 am

Hi

lou1z, the procedure you set out works great on my windows 7 32-bit machines ( :D ), but the laptop still refuses the printer :(

cpg, i have got a good connection with all my shares :)

i have to say the printer has quite some age, i don't know if this could be one of the reasons? (drivers etc...)

grtz

DaMerc91
Qui vit d'espoir meurt de désir

wvdlee

Postby wvdlee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:34 am

I did not use samba for printing but internet printing through cups in windows 7

I use for example http://hda:631/printers/psc-1310-series-
and for the printer driver: MS Publisher Imagesetter from generic printers.

works very well and I don't have to mess with printer drivers.

ljdellar

Postby ljdellar » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 am

I have the same problem. I can access the shares I set up and the ready built ones, BUT I cannot connect to the printer. I can see it, but I get refused with error 0x0000000d.

There is no such setting to modify network permissions through the HDA dashboard (maybe you are thinking of a previous version?, or a previous version of Fedora...).

Cups is not accessible via the web interface except on the server itself, and I notice that cups is currently set up NOT to share the printer(s).

Any attempt to modify this situation results in an

[Error: Forbidden],

and trying to configure cupsd.conf via a terminal is also forbidden.

Using sudo gedit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf gives the error

Code: Select all

[sysadmin@dellar ~]$ sudo gedit [sudo] password for sysadmin: sysadmin is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
So I tried

Code: Select all

[sysadmin@dellar ~]$ su sysadmin gedit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf Password: /usr/bin/gedit: /usr/bin/gedit: cannot execute binary file [sysadmin@dellar ~]$
Beginning to get to the end of my rope here... it was easier to add a printer to FreeNAS!

I really only need a server to do three things: Share files internally, provide a centralised torrent up/download server, share a printer. I would be happy if I could also run a mailserver and backup client PCs, but these are not essential features. Can anyone suggest a server OS where all three of these can be done without having to take everything apart and put it back together again?

The ONLY one to cover all my wants so far is Windows (ptui) Home Server. It works out of the box and never put a foot wrong, but my trial has run out, also there is a limit of ten users.

ljdellar

Postby ljdellar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 am

Bump?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:32 am

Hello,

I hope you will give us a chance and continue to try and make Amahi work for you. Each user has unique problems that are often easily corrected given time.

The Amahi Wiki holds a lot of information that can help correct problems. For instance, take a look at this one on networked printer http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding_ ... ed_printer.

We will do our best to help you correct any problems. You can often get help quickly if you stop by the IRC. There are many of us on in the evenings. Hope this helps.

Bigfoot65
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Another quick note: users must be logged in to the server via file sharing (\\hda) to be able to print. As far as I am concerned, this is a bug, however, we have not been able to nail it down.

as bigfoot65 indicated, check the "adding a printer" page in the wiki. we definitely could use an update to that.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ceayuso

Postby ceayuso » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:44 am

Had the same problem when I updated Amahi. I have two Windows 7 computers and a Windows XP laptop that were using the printer attached to our hda. After I updated the hda I re-installed the printer on all 3 machines but could not connect from the Windows 7 computers. I found this solution and it worked for me:
I've seen this problem with a few printers now, not consistantly between any particular makes or models. However, I have found a consistant fix to connect to any network printer from vista:

Run a command prompt and type the following:

net use LPT2: \\servername\printer

This sets up a behind-the-scenes connection to the printer.

Then go through the add printer wizard, choose to add a local printer, and choose port LPT2... It will probably ask for a printer driver, and you can just choose whatever XP driver you might have been using before. The printer is then installed without any errors, and works just fine.

From poking around, it seems when the error appears that the driver is actually installed, but something between it being installed and it actually being added to vista's list of printers breaks. Doing the above just works though.
From: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 714a549ee0