SOLVED: New Amahi 11 Install Trouble

roozter

SOLVED: New Amahi 11 Install Trouble

Postby roozter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello,

I am new to Amahi, coming from Windows Home Server. I installed Fedora 27, I installed Amahi and I can get to the browser login page with the warning about not using HDA for DNS yet. Here are my problems.

1. The terminal on my server shows this: "Philips-hue login:"

I do have a Philips Hue hub hardwired on my network. But why is the terminal showing this login? I think this is causing my problems with not being able to use "su -" to get to the root to release / renew the server lease. or reboot or anything else useful when I can't access anything while trying to transition DNS from Ubiquiti to HDA.

2. I am using Ubiquiti Cloud Key / Controller and Security Gateway. Basically, all Ubiquiti hardware for the network, aside from the cable modem. Simply turning off DHCP in the Ubiquiti controller does not seem to be doing the trick for me to transition to the HDA for DNS. Any thoughts here?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: New Amahi 11 Install Trouble

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Maybe try restarting your network after making the changes.

Then the HDA should be the sole provider.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

roozter

Postby roozter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Maybe try restarting your network after making the changes.

Then the HDA should be the sole provider.
Thanks, but I did try that. Sorry forgot to include that part. I restarted my switch and gateway which is what the network consists of (basically).

Another question. Is the IP of HDA supposed to also be the IP address of the NIC in the HDA system, or is this IP separate from the NIC IP?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:46 pm

The HDA has only a single IP address.

We don’t support multiple NICs.

All the devices in front of the HDA is likely your problem.

Typical install involves a router and the HDA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

roozter

Postby roozter » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:35 pm

I "think" I have been able to resolve this. Since I could not find any information on Google related to Ubiquiti, UniFi, CloudKey, USG and Amahi HDA thought I would post what I did in order.

1. Reinstalled Amahi 11 using the Minimal CD. Although I decided to install it on a Proxmox VM this time. It worked, and I got to the HDA dashboard via the HDA IP and received the normal message about not running DNS through HDA.
2. On the Ubiquiti side of things. First, I opened browser tabs to the UniFi Cloud Access Portal, CloudKey and Controller (make note of your device login UN and PW)
a. Removed any fixed IP addresses that I set in the controller. ( I think this was my issue. I had set a fixed IP address for the CloudKey / Controller. I "think" this prevented the CloudKey/Controller from receiving an IP Address from the HDA DHCP. )
b. Removed and disabled UniFi Cloud Access. I wanted extra assurance I could get to the devices if I couldn't get to the internet.
c. Turned off DHCP under Settings\Network\"edit" LAN\DHCP Server = None
d. Reboot Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG)
e. Reboot UniFi Controller
3. Restart the Amahi HDA
*** Do Not reboot or release / renew the IP on the client you are using. ***
4. Wait for both the UniFi Controller and Gateway to come back up. Check the Cloud Access browser tab for a new IP on the Controller / CloudKey.
5. Login to the UniFi Controller (new IP Address) and view your clients; I used the controller to reconnect all wireless client devices.
6. On a different Windows machine, I used Command Prompt to release and renew IP Address and test that I could access the Internet and HDA using http://HDA.
7. Release / Renew your IP from the client you are using.
8. Hard Refresh browser and confirm you still have access to UniFi Controller
9. Use http://hda to login to your Amahi HDA

I also had set a fixed IP address in the UniFi Controller for the client I was using to make all these changes. I think this further complicated my issues because when I did release / renew on my client system I lost all internet / network access. I was also seeing weird things in the UniFi controller with respect to client IP addresses, like 169.xxx.x.x vs expecting 192.168.x.x

Anyhow, I seem to be up and running with Amahi HDA on a Proxmox VM and doing DHCP / DNS.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Good to hear you have a solution.

It would beneficial if you could add this to the Amahi wiki.

Will mark thread as resolved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager