SOLVED: Amahi 11 and webmin

genel

SOLVED: Amahi 11 and webmin

Postby genel » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:54 pm

I have recently installed a new HDA running Amahi 11. I have a problem with the webmin app (which I use quite a bit). If I install webmin and then follow the link to "http://webmin.silversky.armadillo.nu/" I get a 503 error

Code: Select all

Service Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
If I do

systemctl start webmin
I get

Failed to start webmin.service: Unit webmin.service not found.
I have tried uninstalling and installing several times.
Any help would be appreciated.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi 11 and webmin

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Please check /var/logs/amahi-app-installer.log for errors.

Also please provide URL for:

apaste —sysinfo
This helps with troubleshooting.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am

Here is the section from the install log:
======= app install begin @ 2019-04-03 19:29:59 -0500 ==========
Installing app id uicm8zt4hf under /var/hda/platform/html/script/.. ENV=production
file /var/hda/tmp/amahi-download-cache/189587329ebd2783456b06e6d9604ba8938cf393 picked up from cache.
Your HDA services have been restarted.
Enabling webmin service
Failed to enable unit: Unit file webmin.service does not exist.
Configuring Amahi settings
/var/hda/web-apps/webmin/elevated/start.sh: line 4: /etc/webmin/config: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf: No such file or directory
Reloading systemctl daemon
Starting webmin service
Done!
App: Webmin installed
======= app install end @ 2019-04-03 19:30:32 -0500 ==========

While there are errors, they don't seem to mean much. I checked the cache the file referenced is there and is 22042556 bytes long. I went back in the log file to the first attempt to install webmin and found this:

======= app install begin @ 2019-03-20 21:40:48 -0500 ==========
Installing app id uicm8zt4hf under /var/hda/platform/html/script/.. ENV=production
NOTICE: redirected 'https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... noarch.rpm' --> 'https://astuteinternet.dl.sourceforge.n ... noarch.rpm' ...
file /var/hda/tmp/amahi-download-cache/189587329ebd2783456b06e6d9604ba8938cf393 written in cache
Enabling webmin service
/var/hda/web-apps/webmin/elevated/start.sh: line 4: /etc/webmin/config: No such file or directory
Starting webmin service
Done!
======= app install end @ 2019-03-20 21:42:56 -0500 ==========

Still not much help but there it is. That was the very first entry in the install log. (Installing webmin was the first thing I tried with the new hda.)

The output url from apaste was:

https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/a ... V07ynLb4Eg

Thanks,
Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm

Indication from the log and system info indicates the Webmin RPM is not being installed.

Have you done an OS update?

What method did you use for install Fedora and Amahi?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:49 pm

So, as you probably can see the HDA runs on a virtual machine. I installed from the image "Amahi-11-x86_64-DVD.iso" which I downloaded from the website (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_11_Install) on March 19. I just booted the CD and followed the prompts. I remember doing it twice because I didn't like the way I had set up the virtual machine's disks the first time.

I have not done any updates since I usually use webmin to review them. If you think it's needed I will do them from the command line.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:59 pm

The DVD image should only be used as a last resort.

Why did you not do the minimal install CD?

The instructions you referenced were for the Express CD.

What guidance did you follow and did you deviate from them? Important to follow precisely as documented.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

genel

Postby genel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

First I want to apologize for not getting back to this earlier.

I typically shy away from express and net install versions of software, I have had bad luck with repeatability of the install. I'm sure I never saw "last resort" anywhere.

To answer the rest of the questions in detail I will have to wait until I am at home and can consult my notes. But in general I follow installation instructions carefully until I get to the point where I know they won't work in my set up. In this case since my intention was to move all of my stuff from an old server (Amahi 7) to the new one, I stopped after the server was up and began moving the old server set up to the new one.

I will send more detailed information as soon as I can.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Understand.

We do list the order of precedence in the wiki install instructions. It states to use DVD when additional driver support is needed and Express CD and net install doesn’t work.

Also if you deviate from the instructions, we cannot be of much assistance. We’ve provided the best guidance for a successful install and have thoroughly tested each.

Not sure what you mean by “following instructions until they won’t work with your server. “ Can you provide an example?

Will wait for additional details.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

genel

Postby genel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 am

First it turns out that I was installing from the express CD. I checked the sha1 and it was correct.

I could not find my notes, so I repeated the process. The exact steps I followed were as follows:
1) I got a new install code with network settings of 192.168.0.1 for the router and 192.168.0.11 for the HDA. For the DNS name I used silversky.armadillo.nu. The Code was PM5B2XH.
2) Created a new virtual machine with 3gb of memory and two 100gb disks. (Same config as active HDA).
3) Booted from the install CD and chose install Amahi
4) Chose English for the language
5) Enter install code
6) Chose English for the keyboard
7) Started installation
(it downloaded several hundred files and installed a bunch of stuff, and rebooted to the HDA)
8) Logged in as admin
9) Enabled advanced settings
10) Turned off DHCP
11) Installed WEBMIN

I got the same results as before:
------ start amahi-app-installer.log
======= app install begin @ 2019-04-09 20:40:38 -0500 ==========
NOTICE: redirected 'https://downloads.sourceforge.net/proje ... noarch.rpm' --> 'https://versaweb.dl.sourceforge.net/pro ... noarch.rpm' ...
file /var/hda/tmp/amahi-download-cache/189587329ebd2783456b06e6d9604ba8938cf393 written in cache
Enabling webmin service
Starting webmin service
Done!
======= app install end @ 2019-04-09 20:43:12 -0500 ==========
------ end amahi-app-installer.log

I am reasonably sure this is just what I did the first time.

As to your question about when I deviate from the instructions provided, an example is that I disable DHCP. I still have an active HDA and I only want one DHCP on the network. If I was going to use this HDA, I would next shut it down attach two more 100gb disks then start it up and mount them in /var/hda/drives and install greyhole.

On another note (maybe of help), I tried installing webmin from the webmin site (http://www.webmin.com/rpm.html). The RPM has the same sha1 as the cache file referenced above. That RPM refuses to install with an error that it does not recognize the operating system. The file /etc/system-release says: "Generic release 27 (Generic)"

------ start console output
[admin@localhost ~]$ sudo rpm -U webmin-1.900-1.noarch.rpm
[sudo] password for admin:
warning: webmin-1.900-1.noarch.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 11f63c51: NOKEY
Unable to identify operating system
error: %prein(webmin-1.900-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
error: webmin-1.900-1.noarch: install failed
------ end console output

I have kept the test machine image, so I can conduct tests with it if you need me to.

Gene

genel

Postby genel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:39 am

As a test I did the following on the test setup:

Modified /etc/os-release
Modified /etc/redhat-release
Modified /etc/system-release-cpe

I changed all of these files so they are like the ones in a new install of fedora 27 server.

I reran the RPM install: and it succeeded.

I'm going to restore the machine from a backup and try with the Amahi install. But I won't be able to do that for a while.

Gene