Turning off DHCP on an ATT modem/router

baileyt2

Turning off DHCP on an ATT modem/router

Postby baileyt2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 am

If this question has been asked and answered, please direct me.

I just switched from Charter/Spectrum as my ISP to ATT Fiber. The new modem/router was working fine. My HDA had been up and running for several years. My Dashboard doesn't display now, and I recalled that I needed to turn off DHCP on the router with my previous configuration under Charter. In Control Panel, it first showed my HDA with a status of Not Updating. I went ahead and turned off DHCP on the router, and then lost internet access on all my devices (two laptops, two phones, TV, and Echo Dot). I couldn't connect to the router either, either by wireless or directly. I tried turning off the HDA and resetting the router manually. Still couldn't connect to the router. Oddly, my friend's Macbook had internet access--seemed to regain it with my fiddling, while none of the other devices had access (despite rebooting all of them). I used the Macbook to connect to the router and switch DHCP back on, and now all devices seem to have internet access. Except, my HDA still had a status of Not Updating, which after several hours now says Stopped. Also, I noticed that my HDA is not listed as a device on my network and pinging it using the ip in the Amahi Control Panel (and there are two different ip's listed: 97.88.199.155 and 192.168.1.10) results in a reply from a different ip that the device unreachable, despite the HDA being directly connected to the router.

There was this warning to not switch off DHCP unless the HDA was fully functioning that I ignored, so I figured that's where I went astray, but I'm just guessing now. Questions:

1. How do I restore my HDA to updating status?
2. Will that fix my problem with turning off DHCP on the router? I'm nervous about trying that again.

I'm thinking this may be a router firewall issue. If so and anyone knows a workaround, I'd like to know it. If it helps, I still have the router that I used for the Charter/Spectrum ISP (I bought my own router rather than renting from Charter). Maybe I can somehow bypass the ATT router with my old router (with the wireless off) in order to get my HDA working? I'd like simpler fix if there is one.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Turning off DHCP on an ATT modem/router

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Try this guidance. Even though it's not for AT&T, it will work.

I have an AT&T router and I am using it with my HDA. You can also set the AT&T router to give out IP addresses for a specific range, such as 200-253, then set the HDA to do 100-199. You'll be running two DHCP servers, but they will never conflict.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

baileyt2

Postby baileyt2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 am

I think I've discovered the problem. If not the problem, it's a problem. The gateway IP has changed. I'll see whether I can fix that issue, and respond back if it works.

baileyt2

Postby baileyt2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 am

Thanks, bigfoot65. I should fix the gateway ip issue first though, right?

baileyt2

Postby baileyt2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm

So, using the wiki guidance for changing the gateway ip got my HDA up and running. My new ATT modem/router does allow DHCP to be turned off (it doesn't allow the start and stop addresses to be the same, however, and I didn't see a way to add a fake MAC address as a workaround), so I did that, and now I can access my HDA Dashboard after rebooting my clients. Seems all is well.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am

Sounds like you got it all working now.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

baileyt2

Postby baileyt2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm

Oops. I thought it was solved. I ran the interactive network trouble shooter, and it fails at Step 7, resolving external addresses. So, while I can see and log in to my dashboard, I can't go anywhere from there. If I click on any icon I end up on the amahi.net page. So, I'm partway there, but not all the way.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Try following the guidance from the wiki.

Instead of setting the DHCP for the same address, set it for two.

For Fedora 27, Amahi uses two addresses. One for the HDA and the other is virtual for Docker.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

baileyt2

Postby baileyt2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:44 am

So, I tried your first suggestion, turning DHCP back on on the ATT router, and assigning the DCHP start address to 200 and the end address to 253. Using the Amahi Dashboard I set the DCHP start address and end addresses to 100 and 199, respectively. I rebooted the server and clients, and I still have internet access, thankfully. However, running the Interactive Network Troubleshooter, it now fails at the 4th step, resolving local hostnames. The expected server address at that step according to the troubleshooter is 192.168.1.10. However, doing an nslookup on the server, the server address is different (185.37.37.37), and nslookup indicates that the server can't find hda: NXDOMAIN. The 185.37.37.37 address is the same as indicated in the Dashboard for the DNS and DHCP servers. I can edit these addresses. Should I change them to 192.168.1.10?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Sounds like you need to cycle your network.

That involves turning off all clients, and leaving only router, modem, and HDA on.

Next turn off HDA, then reset the router and modem. Once it’s back online turn on your HDA.

Give it a few minutes then try one client. If all goes well, you can then power on all other devices.

Make sense?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager