Is my system too old???

lagerman38

Is my system too old???

Postby lagerman38 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Good evening,

If this isn't the correct spot to ask, could the admins please move this post to the correct location?

I have been trying to install Amahi 11 now for the last two weeks. I have not had any success. I tried both from USB, USB optical drive, and I borrowed a drive from my main home pc. I have also tried the different installers from the wiki and those too did not work.

The system I am trying to install on has the following:

Asus M4A77D motherboard
Athalon X2 dual core 2.3 GHz CPU
4GB of ram
128GB solid state hard drive ( for the os not storage)
2x 500GB hard drives for storage (going to use grey hole)
Nvidia 9500 video card (it was a spare I had laying around)

The installer fails at different points throughout the install. It does it at different spots every time. I was able to get FreeNAS installed without issue. I really want to get to this work since this is exactly what I was looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Is my system too old???

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 am

I have been trying to install Amahi 11 now for the last two weeks. I have not had any success. I tried both from USB, USB optical drive, and I borrowed a drive from my main home pc. I have also tried the different installers from the wiki and those too did not work.
Best install method is via Netinstall CD. Does the machine have a CD/DVD drive?

Also please elaborate on what occurs when the install fails? Are you following install guidance precisely?

Due to the age of the machine, you may need to use the Full DVD.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lagerman38

Postby lagerman38 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:03 pm

It is an old system that I put together from parts I had laying around. It did not have a DVD drive. I do have a USB one though. I am thinking it is the motherboard giving me issues. I replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one. However every time I power it down, the system time needs to be set. There are also issues with it not saving the boot order and it booting from USB. When it does boot, it will start to load and once it gets to the graphical part of the installer, all I see is the mouse pointer. I tried both normally and with a minimal graphics install. There were also messages about "The pane is dead". I am caulking it up to a bad mother board. I will be getting my hands on another system in a couple of days. I will update when I give it a once over and decide if I can use it.

lagerman38

Postby lagerman38 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Here is an update. The other system that I was given was even older than the one I tried installing on before. I did manage to salvage one part I needed so I tried again. This time I used the full-dvd and after attempt 3, SUCCESS (sort of). I configured my router with the IP address from my HDA registration so that is set. However, I cannot do anything with the additional drives I added for storage. I can see the drives but cannot access them or configure them. I have attached a screen shot of what I am seeing.
Attachments
Amahi storage.PNG
Amahi storage.PNG (2.59 KiB) Viewed 2550 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:45 am

In Linux, drives have to be mounted. Even though you can see them, they are not automatically mounted.

Recommend you see adding a second drive to your HDA for details. We have an disk-wizard App, that automates this task but it's currently broken.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2