CLOSED: Amahi 11 partitions

burn913

CLOSED: Amahi 11 partitions

Postby burn913 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I am a long time amahi user and just did a fresh install of amahi 11. I just want to mention that I believe the install instructions are missing a piece about disk partitions. The first time I tried installing amahi 11 without customizing the partitions caused some serious issues shortly after install because of the home partition, I believe. I consulted instructions for the installation of amahi 9 and reinstalled amahi 11 with the custom partitioning that amahi 9 install suggests.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi 11 partitions

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:51 pm

I just want to mention that I believe the install instructions are missing a piece about disk partitions.
What method did you use, Express CD, Minimal CD, or Full DVD. The disk partition is very specific in the later two install methods.
I consulted instructions for the installation of amahi 9 and reinstalled amahi 11 with the custom partitioning that amahi 9 install suggests.
Why would you follow Amahi 9 install instructions vs Amahi 10? If you did not use LVM, there would be no /home partition created.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

burn913

Postby burn913 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:48 am

I used the Express CD and by default, that set standard partition (not LVM) with a /home partition that ate up most of the drive space. When I went to add media to the music share on the HDA, I think it filled up the / partition (because /home was eating up most of the drive space) and then the hda dashboard became unavailable and the hda wasnt really working properly. On the error message from the dashboard, it hinted that it might be because of a lack of drive space. On reinstalling amahi 11, I examined the default partition scheme and confirmed that /home was the biggest partition.

I used Amahi 9 instructions to customize the partitions because that was the version that I was upgrading from. I kept the standard partition (not LVM) and just deleted the /home partition, reallocating that drive space to the / partition. All seems fine now, even after adding my media to the shares.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 pm

I used the Express CD and by default, that set standard partition (not LVM) with a /home partition that ate up most of the drive space.
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that you had different results than our tests.

I just tried on a existing drive and it created the standard partition with no /home partiton. Also tested on bare drive with same result.

Is there something you changed when using the Express CD? There should have been nothing changed, except maybe the language or time zone.

Trying to replicate your issue so that I can update guidance if needed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

burn913

Postby burn913 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Now that I think of it, on the initial install, I did go into the install destination options. I didn't make any changes in there. I simply deselected my HDD then selected it again (there's only one drive). I wonder if that simple deselect then re-select changed the default partitions. On that first install, I didn't even go into the custom partitioning options.

If you've tested this and the partition scheme works by default, then it sounds fine. I was just worried that other people would have this issue too.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Understand and appreciate it.

You are the only one who has mentioned a problem, so that must be why.

The intent of the Express CD is to not have to change anything.

Will have to see how it works in a two drive system. That might be where more guidance is needed.

Marking this topic as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

jlundwal

Re: CLOSED: Amahi 11 partitions

Postby jlundwal » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm

I would just like to report that I had the same experience. The first time that I installed amahi 11, I casually clicked on the partition button and then exited out and got the majority of my space allocated to the /home directory. I redid the install and click nothing that was unnecessary and had the same result. I had to manually set it to the proper configuration.