CLOSED: Upgrade or clean install

wyzard

CLOSED: Upgrade or clean install

Postby wyzard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am

Good morning.

I'm currently running Amahi 9. I have greyhole and Plex running (nothing else at the moment). I have several hundred movies as well as music and pictures on my data drives.

What's the best way to go to Amahi 10 and ensure that I keep all my data? I have looked at the Wiki for upgrade but it says it supported to a limited extent. Would this be my best option? Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the information.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Upgrade or clean install

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 am

What's the best way to go to Amahi 10 and ensure that I keep all my data? I have looked at the Wiki for upgrade but it says it supported to a limited extent. Would this be my best option? Any details would be greatly appreciated.
Upgrade would be the best option. It works fairly well for most, so shouldn't be an issue for you.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 am

After sickrage failed miserably this week I thought I'd upgrade to a supported version before asking for help, as I am still on Amahi 9.

Was your upgrade from 9 to 10 successful? I see from another post the importance of removing the installed apps (or break the dashboard).
Do you now intend to go from 10 to 11 in the same manner?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Recommend anyone upgrading Amahi uninstall apps. This is stated in the upgrade instructions.

The new Amahi version often has updated apps. Especially plugins (i.e. disk-stats App, web-apps App, disk-wizard App, greyhole-ui App, etc) since platform code changes and could crash if using old versions of plugin apps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 am

I know Wyzard started this thread, but I gave the procedure a go. It all started with SiCKRAGE decided to meltdown, looks like the current branch is borked for a lot of people; nearly opened a bug here when I found users on freenas and qsnap reporting same issues.
That's when I noticed the addition to the sickrage app, moving the uninstalled files into Newsgroups.

Day 1
I uninstalled all the apps till there was nothing left, then changed my mind, too late to start an upgrade. That's when i noticed all my greyhole shares were broken. So I installed the apps again. I could see the greyhole shares, but the drive size showed 2mb, and free space showed 1mb. Trawl the forum, fixed that.
Day 2
Try again; uninstall all apps, and follow the upgrade process to the T. Probably took no more than 30 mins. Check the greyhole logs and notice that it says "You have no 'storage_pool_drive' defined. Install the greyhole UI app and sure enough, the drives weren't in the pool. Added them and ran an fsck.
Day 3
Just monitoring greyhole, convinced it isn't functioning. Stick a few files on a share and ran FSCK
Day 4
Nothing in the greyhole log showing movement of the files from the landing zone. The files in the Newsgroups share from the uninstalling of sickrage are gone. Other shares appear to be ok though. Any other additions to greyhole have been copies, so nothing is lost beside the sickrage backups (i copied a few off beforehand though).
Follow the greyhole troubleshooting. Greyhole service won't start. I empty the work queue (15 things in there). Greyhole starts back up and I see the files move from the landing zone back into the pool.

Amahi 9 --> Amahi 10 went ok I guess. I think I'd broken greyhole when removing then reinstalling apps when I aborted the upgrade.
I'll repeat the process and try Amahi 10 --> Amahi 11 to get to the current supported version.

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:35 am

... That's when I noticed the addition to the sickrage app, moving the uninstalled files into Newsgroups...
What was up with that? I upgraded from 10-11 last night and toyed around with Sickrage to see if it was still borked with the updating timezones error (spoiler: it was) but when I uninstalled I noticed the files sitting in Newsgroups samba share folder. I'm not sure when or how they showed up, relative to the Amahi 11 upgrade. At first I couldn't do anything with them until I went into the share tab in hda dashboard and cleared the permissions. I then successfully removed the sickrage folder from the Newsgroups share (a ton of files!). I hope I didn't mess anything else up by removing that folder but I am not planning to use Sickrage any more and have moved over to Sonarr.

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 am

I believe it is something BigFoot added in 2015 going from previous posts as a way to recover your settings if you need to. You can safely remove the files.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes it probably was something I did.

Can we consider this thread closed?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Hopefully the OP is satisfied with madhatta's success story. My upgrade from 9-10 was uneventful thankfully.
Follow the wiki to the letter. Make sure apps are all removed and if you're like me and a clumsy typer use ssh to copy and paste commands.

madhatta

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 pm

I believe it is something BigFoot added in 2015 going from previous posts as a way to recover your settings if you need to. You can safely remove the files.
Good to know for the future. Thanks.