Persistent connection options for file sharing/remote access over DS-Lite IPv6 ISP?

madhatta

Persistent connection options for file sharing/remote access over DS-Lite IPv6 ISP?

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 am

I realize that this is more of a general question not specifically related to Amahi but thought that maybe someone could point me to an Amahi app that may serve the purpose...

I have been looking into options for remotely accessing my Amahi 10 server (Samba mostly but SSH would be cool too) and haven't really come up with any great solutions. As stated in the subject, my ISP utilizes DS-Lite whereby (as best as I can understand it) my internal traffic (192.168.*.*) is converted to IPv6 until it reaches the ISPs gateway router and is then essentially NAT'd with IPv4 for any IPv4 destinations. This, of course, make's it difficult for port forwarding and using the DynDNS provided by Amahi. For the moment, I have installed LogMeIn's Hamachi tool to make a private network. It seems this makes a persistent connection with an outside hub that server and clients alike can connect to and then makes it possible to communicate with another using any ports or protocols. It works OK but I would like to have a more standardized solution. It seems that if I buy a virtual server space that I can then set up an SSH server on it and then establish a reverse SSH tunnel from the Amahi server to the outside server. I don't believe this will get me any sort of Samba functionality though and so I am looking for suggestions besides this or a tunnel broker for an easy way to have Amahi establish a connection to an IPv4 address that I can then also connect to from any client (Hamachi is a pain to use on Android) outside and talk to the Amahi server.

I was looking at the Amahi Anywhere app in the store but I am not sure how this operates, if it would serve the purpose or not.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Persistent connection options for file sharing/remote access over DS-Lite IPv6 ISP?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Have you tried the openvpn App?

Also might check out Windows VPN.

amahi-anywhere App gives you access to you shares via Android or iOS.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

madhatta

Re: Persistent connection options for file sharing/remote access over DS-Lite IPv6 ISP?

Postby madhatta » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Have you tried the openvpn App?

Also might check out Windows VPN.

amahi-anywhere App gives you access to you shares via Android or iOS.
I believe that any standard VPN or remote IPv4 connection apps need to be listening on a port that is available from outside the ISP's gateway. Since my address is converted to IPv6 on the external interface of my home router and then converted back to IPv4 at the external gateway of my ISP (NAT'd IPv4) I have no way to listen for connections/port requests on my home router. That is why I am thinking I need to establish a tunnel/connection from the Amahi server to a publicly accessible IPv4 address somewhere outside my ISP's external gateway. Sort of a "middleman jump box". I will keep looking around but thought I would ask here. Thanks for the suggestions.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am

No problem.

Maybe someone from the community can offer some suggestions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2