Can't add external hdd using disk wizard.

Eristopher

Can't add external hdd using disk wizard.

Postby Eristopher » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:10 am

Hi.
Im new to amahi and relatively new to linux so bare with me.

Im trying to use amahi as my home server to share movies on my external hdd with friends and family.

I searched how to do this in the wiki and the forum, the only info i can seem to find leads me to disk wizard which can apparently be utilized in the dashboard. I thought i would have to download disk wizard however there is no "install" option in the app store where this app is listed so if i understand correctly the disk wizard is already part of the dashboard. Is that right?

I followed the instructions i found and navigated the dashboard to setup>disks>add but there is no "add" option. How can i share an external hard drive via my amahi server? Is there supposed to be an "add disk" option or has that changed?

I should state that i have accessed the dashboard using http:\hda on a different desktop to the one amahi is running on. When i attempt to access http:\hda on the amahi system i get an error and cant access the dashboard. Is that an issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Can't add external hdd using disk wizard.

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 am

I thought i would have to download disk wizard however there is no "install" option in the app store where this app is listed so if i understand correctly the disk wizard is already part of the dashboard. Is that right?
disk-wizard App is an app that you have to install.

it may have a convenience fee, in which case you would need to log into amahi.org and purchase it. Once done, refresh your available apps on the HDA and it should appear for installation.
I should state that i have accessed the dashboard using http:\hda on a different desktop to the one amahi is running on. When i attempt to access http:\hda on the amahi system i get an error and cant access the dashboard. Is that an issue?
You have to use the HDA for your DHCP and DNS server to access it from other client machines in your network.

Did you follow the transitioning to your Amahi server guidance?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Eristopher

Postby Eristopher » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I followed the link you provided and i believe my problem is i haven't transitioned to amahi.

The instructions say to "turn off any other DHCP server" by "Logging in to my router's admin interface in a browser
Locate the DCHP Server settings
Uncheck the box to disable the DHCP server".

2 problems: i have no idea how to log into my routers admin and i have no idea what a DHCP server is.

Also i tried to install disk wizard but as I said before there is no option to install or download the app in the app store, i assume that is because i haven't properly set up amahi yet.

I foolishly assumed that following the installation instructions and setting up amahi on top of fedora would lead to a simple operating system where i could control everything from. My understanding of file servers is extremely limited.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but is there a guide somewhere to tell me how to access my router admin? It is not a very common router because unfortunately i am only on mobile broadband technology (my house cant get adsl yet).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:13 pm

There are some links here for routers. Also try Google as many guides for routers can be found on the internet.

As for the App Store, you have to purchase apps that aren’t found on your HDA. You then have to install from the HDA not the App Store at Amahi.org.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2