Amahi HDA on new network

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi HDA on new network

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 am

If if do a new install, recommend you delete the HDA profile and create a new one.

Since you are using Greyhole, simply disconnect those drives when doing a reinstall. I presume they are USB hard drives, correct?

Beware that any shares/files not managed by Greyhole will need to be backed up though.

Hopefully a reinstall will be the solution for your problem.

Please let us know if this thread can be closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:33 am

I don't think I'll be doing a reinstall since I want to replace the PC anyway, so I was going to start fresh. Yes the drives are USB, nothing stored on the PCs hard drive. Will a fresh install be a problem? I'm very reluctant to reinstall on this machine because it's headless both literally and figuratively, i.e. The laptop's screen has been removed and thrown away.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 am

No a fresh install would likely be best.

The data on the drives is safe providing you follow the guidance in my previous post.

Please let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Thu May 24, 2018 8:43 am

Hi bigfoot65,

Life got in the way but I'm ready to tackle this project now. There are a couple things I'm not 100% sure of and would appreciate some guidance on. Just to recap:

1) I'm starting fresh with a new computer, new network, basically new everything, BUT I want to maintain my old greyhole configuration.
2) All the files/shares managed by greyhole are on external USB drives.
3) I have the old laptop that the original Amahi setup was built on, but it's headless and I can't connect to it.

Now, I'm wondering how to make this as painless as possible? If I take the old hardrive out of the old laptop and put it in a USB enclosure I could probably pull system files off it for the greyhole setup. Would this be helpful, or even critical? I will likely be setting up a newer version of Amahi than the one I had previously. Will this cause a problem? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks so much for your help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm

You can disconnect the Greyhole drives and then once the new machine is set up, follow the reconnect existing Greyhole storage pool guidance.
If I take the old hardrive out of the old laptop and put it in a USB enclosure I could probably pull system files off it for the greyhole setup. Would this be helpful, or even critical?
This would be helpful if you don't recall all the share names you had set up with Greyhole. The /etc/greyhole.conf file would be the one with the info.
I will likely be setting up a newer version of Amahi than the one I had previously. Will this cause a problem?
No and that would be the best path forward, Fedora 25 / Amahi 10.
Is there anything else I'm missing?
Would have been best to document all settings from the old HDA, but that's not possible if you cannot connect to it. In the future, you might check out the HDA OS Migration Guide. It will automate documenting all your pertinent settings you would need for a new install.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Thu May 24, 2018 12:37 pm

Awesome thanks so much! In addition to the greyhole file, are there any others I can pull to help with the new setup?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:31 pm

I’d get /etc/fstab and the directory structure in /var/hda/files.

That’s the share folders.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks so much for your help bigfoot65, I'm almost there!

I'm following the "Reconnect existing Greyhole storage" section and just wanted to clear something up. My old fstab has the following mount points for my three usb drives:

/var/hda/files
/var/hda/files/drives/drive2
/var/hda/files/drives/drive3

but in my old /var/hda/files directory I only see /drives/drive1/, which is empty. Also, in my new /var/hda/files/ directory I see all the default share folders (books, movies, etc.), so I'm wondering if I should delete these and make my new /var/hda/files look like my old one? I know that my old shares had different names than the default ones, which is reflected in my greyhole.conf, so should I create these in /var/hda/files/ instead of the default ones? Thanks for helping clear this up!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Yes you can preserve the data.

Recommend you follow the HDA Migration Guide for best results.

This is the ideal situation for the guide and why we created it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager