CLOSED: HDA connectivity lost periodically

NitikaAmahi

CLOSED: HDA connectivity lost periodically

Postby NitikaAmahi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I am such a newb that I probably won't frame my questions correctly, but I will try.There are several problems that I am encountering after installing Amahi 10 on Fedora 25 (I could be wrong about the versions, but it is the most recent stable version) about three weeks ago. I am only able to connect to HDA after performing a manual reboot.
This was my second fresh install as the previous install (the older version) kept crashing (apparently). I decided on second install thinking that I may have missed some steps the first time around. Second install was much smoother, but getting the apps to work was another thing.
1. SickRage with qbittorrent: Cannot get the setting right and I cannot find the resource page that I used in the prior install, which worked just great. So if someone can guide me to the proper resource, I will be able to work with it.
2. After installing OpenVPN (from app store), I couldn't connect to it. The Open VPN server is 'stopped' and any attempt to start/restart does nothing. The port forwarding is as recommended in the setting and DHCP is disabled in my router. But it won't run. It might be related to the fact that I had IPsecVPN installed previously but had to remove it because of compatibility issues.
3. My Plex Server went south after working great initially. Now I get the "server unavailable" error.
These issues seem to have occurred around the VPN install time period (IPsec and later Open VPN) and could be related. Another contributory factor could be the TWC (now Spectrum) modem-router (gateway?) which also uses IP in the 192.168.0.xx range and may be creating conflicts. This router could also be the reason that VPN is not working as it may be firewalled at that level.

Current set up:
Amahi 10 on Fedora 25 (jun 22, 2017)
IP:192.168.0.10
LAN via a D-Link router with DHCP disabled (IP range 192.168.0.1 to 255)
Internet gateway via TWC router (haven't logged into it yet, can't locate log in details)

So my questions are:
1. Should I change the IP address range on my LAN router (Dlink) to a different range than TWC router?
2. Should I do a fresh install of Amahi with new IP range?
a. I have saved movies etc. on the hard drives - how can I ensure that they will be available after fresh install.
b. Should I disconnect the hard drives at the time of fresh install and reconnect them after the successful install?
3. A guide to setting up SickRage with qbittorent.

I don't mind if we decide to deal with one issue at a time if they are unrelated and willing to learn my way around it. I can imagine my questions not making sense but if you need clarifications, I am more than happy to answer any additional questions.

NitikaAmahi

Re: HDA connectivity lost periodically

Postby NitikaAmahi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Bump!!

I laid off messing with the server for a while but continue to be unsuccessful using OpenVPN and now Plex Server is non-functional. The server is running (on Control Panel and HDA set up) but I cannot use it really. Wanted to really have Plex and OpenVPN.
Can't uninstall OpenVPN - despite stopping, disabling auto start (boot and Watchdog), keeps coming on.
If someone is listening, please help. I hesitate to ask for help here because of my ignorance but time to time I muster up some courage. Thanks to whoever helps.

Figured out how to use fpaste/sysinfo - hope this helps with the solution
https://da.gd/Xocc0 -> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/U ... vDyu2l5yw/

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 pm

First of all, please let me request you not BUMP your post. I deleted your second post as it was unnecessary.

That is rude and in goes against our community policy. You have to give folks time to discover your post and respond! Remember this is free help. If you want to pay for help, you can get quicker service.

Looking at your info, I would recommend you reinstall with the CD, not DVD. Please follow the install guidance at http://docs.amahi.org precisely. Don't deviate and follow each step.

Get #Amahi running and all things working before installing apps. Best to get the basics sorted out first.

Once complete, then try one app. Ensure things are working correctly before jumping to the next one.

We are happy to assist, but you have to take things one step at a time.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NitikaAmahi

Postby NitikaAmahi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for your response bigfoot65.
My intention was not to be rude and I was patient to wait on my request (the 'Bump' was more than a month after the initial post). It seems like you are the only one who takes the time and effort to respond and I commend and appreciate that. Over that period of time, I got dejected and turned the server off. Just too overwhelming and I am too new at this to even ask sensible questions. So much so I didn't even notice that you had posted a response until now (a month later).
Anyway, my apologies if I have unintentionally disrespected any of the rules of the forum.

I will follow your suggestions and start with a fresh install (from a CD). However, I have some files already transferred over (during previous install) which I would like to keep. They are on a separate physical drive. Will I lose those files when I do a fresh install?
Thanks in advance.
N

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am

Not a problem. I am trying to manage expectations.

If your files are on a separate drive from the OS and #Amahi, then they are safe.

Recommend you disconnect all drives except the one you will be using for the OS. Then you can reconnect once you have #Amahi working.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NitikaAmahi

Postby NitikaAmahi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 am

So finally got the server up and running again and I am being cautious about installing apps, etc. Here are my questions:
(If it is in the better interest to start a new thread, I will be happy to)

1. How to install (add) hard drives without losing data that is already on them?
I tried to use the built-in disk manager and was able to add the drive but no data (I left the "format" options unchecked). If there is a tutorial of some sort for achieving this, please let me know. Is this (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... o_your_HDA ) thread that I should follow?
2. Along those same lines, what is the method to uninstall (unmount) a hard drive?
I have a swappable drive bay and it would be helpful.
3. I would like to install OpenVPN and PlexServer, what is the correct order to get this going?
In my previous install, as soon as I installed the OpenVPN and tried to get it working, Plex took a nose dive and I couldn't get it back.
4. For Plex settings, is there a good tutorial that you recommend,after I have installed it?

It took a while for me to get back on the horse because in the last attempt at install, I tried to recycle the IP address for the HDA and that was probably creating a conflict with the routing. I was able to access it (\\HDA) but it only showed "installing" on the control panel. I had configured port forwarding, fixed IP address, etc. so that may be the culprit. For this time, I have used a new IP address and it seems to be working fine (lesson learned - could add to the Wiki for newbs).

NitikaAmahi

Postby NitikaAmahi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:48 pm

You can mark this as 'closed'. I am not using Amahi anymore. Thanks.