Can't access apps on network (w VPN client)

cav

Can't access apps on network (w VPN client)

Postby cav » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm new to Amahi and many topics relating to running, so apologies in advance if this is a novice question - I couldn't find it addressed in a forum search.

I have a server running Amahi 10 on F25, and a Windows laptop connected to the same network. I also typically run the PIA VPN client on the laptop to anonymize browsing/download traffic from my ISP. Amahi is handling DHCP.

I can't access Amahi apps via the web browser if PIA is running, using the http://[app name].[home domain] address. I can still log in to the HDA dashboard with a web browser, and I can also view HDA files with Windows file explorer. If I try to connect to any app, my web browser gives me a DNS error (I've tried 3 browsers) though in one case I get an error message from the Amahi app, not the web browser (Transmission, when connecting through Opera). If I disconnect from PIA, I can access the HDA and apps normally.

Seems clear that PIA is part of the problem. I wonder if the simple fact of using a web browser causes PIA to connect to Amahi using the external IP (that's my complete noob guess?)...

I'd appreciate any help figuring this out or suggestions on what I could try. Thanks for reading!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Can't access apps on network (w VPN client)

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Seems clear that PIA is part of the problem.
Likely your issue.

Sorry we cannot provide any assistance for a 3rd party app/site.

You would be best using the OpenVPN client supported by #Amahi.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cav

Postby cav » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 am

Thanks, Bigfoot, understood. Even still, I'd really appreciate your or anyone else's thoughts on my diagnosis below, as my understanding of networking is pretty limited...

I tried to figure out what Amahi server "sees" when my Windows laptop tries to connect. From the Windows laptop I ran tracert on 192.168.0.10 (the Amahi server local IP) with the PIA VPN connected and disconnected. Results are attached.

I concluded that Amahi (maybe specifically the DNS server?) thinks my Windows laptop is on a different network while PIA VPN is running, but some other component of the network (my router? Fedora?) still recognizes the laptop's internal IP and gives me access to its files. Probably butchering the technical details...

My next thought for now is to configure OpenVPN between Amahi and my Windows laptop, and use that tunnel to connect to Amahi.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:58 am

I don't see any file attached.

Are you trying to use the VPN from outside your network?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cav

Postby cav » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am

tried to attach the image again.

i'm working around this for the time being by just disabling my Windows laptop's VPN whenever i want to use it to access amahi apps

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:24 pm

i'm working around this for the time being by just disabling my Windows laptop's VPN whenever i want to use it to access amahi apps
That may be the only viable solution.

Should this be marked as closed?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager