Migrating to new server

Rok

Migrating to new server

Postby Rok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 am

I have Amahi (version 8 I think) running at the moment but want to migrate to (Amahi 10 on) a smaller, more energy efficient computer. Do I need to set up a new user in order to do this or can I use my existing install code?

If I set up a new user, I get a slightly unpleasant UserName-2 nickname which I'd rather avoid. I've never used this directly but believe it's used if I'm accessing the server remotely?

I won't be using both servers simultaneously if that makes any difference with regards to install codes.

I'm also curious about transferring data across. I want the new server to use the same IP address as the previous one to save updating access to shared folders on all the media players in the house. But if I do that, the old and new servers will be on the same IP so I won't be able to copy files between them.

Also, there are several folders set up that are private to individual users. How do I copy these across whilst maintaining correct file permissions?

Apologies if there are obvious answers to these questions. I just want to make 100% sure I get this procedure done as cleanly and easily as possible.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Migrating to new server

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:22 am

Do I need to set up a new user in order to do this or can I use my existing install code?
No need for a new user as you can have two HDAs with one account. Do not use the same install code if you intend to have both running at the same time.
I get a slightly unpleasant UserName-2 nickname which I'd rather avoid. I've never used this directly but believe it's used if I'm accessing the server remotely?
It is used with Android/iOS apps and if you use VPN access. Not a big deal as this nickname is normally programmed for the apps one time, then it's saved.
I want the new server to use the same IP address as the previous one to save updating access to shared folders on all the media players in the house.
Not possible as no two devices on a network can share the same IP address. Only one will be reachable.
Also, there are several folders set up that are private to individual users. How do I copy these across whilst maintaining correct file permissions?
You will need to search the internet for the best method for copying files and preserving permissions. It would likely be something you would need to do using command line.

Although we don't support the upgrade method from Amahi 8 to Amahi 10, why not give it a shot. Would make things so much easier for you. Basically you would need to upgrade to Amahi 9, then once complete do it again to Amahi 10.

I have done this with no issues, but cannot guarantee you won't have problems. Also when doing an upgrade, it's important you uninstall all apps first. There may be some apps available in Amahi 8 that are not in Amahi 9 or 10.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Rok

Postby Rok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 am

Thanks for the reply. I've a much better idea of the way to proceed now.
Although we don't support the upgrade method from Amahi 8 to Amahi 10, why not give it a shot. Would make things so much easier for you. Basically you would need to upgrade to Amahi 9, then once complete do it again to Amahi 10.

I have done this with no issues, but cannot guarantee you won't have problems. Also when doing an upgrade, it's important you uninstall all apps first. There may be some apps available in Amahi 8 that are not in Amahi 9 or 10.
How would this make it easier as I still need to migrate to a different computer?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:04 am

How would this make it easier as I still need to migrate to a different computer?
You could migrate the drive to the new machine after the upgrade. Linux is usually pretty good at adapting to new hardware.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Rok

Postby Rok » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:53 am

You could migrate the drive to the new machine after the upgrade. Linux is usually pretty good at adapting to new hardware.
Now that's something I wasn't aware of. Thanks again. I think I'm ready to give this thing a try now :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:50 am

Yea.

A good example can be found here.

Have never tried it, but think about it this way. Your server's mother board goes bad and you have Amahi installed. You replace it and start it up with the Amahi hard drive still in place. The OS will recognize the new hardware, at least in theory.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager