VNC server question

relrobber

VNC server question

Postby relrobber » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 pm

i really should know this, but how do you make the VNC server automatically start when you reboot the machine?
Home HDA: Sony VAIO PCV-RX560, 1.7GHz P4, 320MB RAM

Managed HDA: 512MB RAM

cpg
Administrator

Re: VNC server question

Postby cpg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 pm

as root:

Code: Select all

chkconfig vnc on
however, i am not sure it will run it as a user.

i don't use that - i have a little macro to start it by hand when i use it. in ~/.bashrcL i have:

Code: Select all

alias vncs='vncserver -geometry 1550x1100 &> /dev/null &';
the dimensions are a little smaller than my real desktop, so that i fits nicely without scrollbars. :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am

The VNC server is NOT an easy start.

First you have to install it, as it does not come with either Amahi or Fedora 9.5:

yum install vnc-server

Then you need to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to supply what user you are going to let log in. If you select "2:root" then you will connect to host:5902, etc.

But before you start vncserver, you need to run vncpasswd for the userid you configed. This creates ~/.vnc/; now start then stop vncserver. Edit ~/.vnc/xstartup, changing the last line to 'exec gnome-session &'. NOW you are ready to set vncserver to start at boot time using chkconfig or the services dialog panel.

Whew! And I do this on system after system. Oh, if you use TightVNC, you cannot directly log into root; I have not figured out why it blocks root, but it does, and note that for FC11, RedHat is switchting to TightVNC...

relrobber

Postby relrobber » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 pm

umm...openVNC is configured out of the box on Amahi. it says so on the wiki, and i checked on my box. i'm just not familiar enough w/ fedora (or init, for that matter, really) to know how to get it into the init scripts. all my other 'nix boxes have been ubuntu, gentoo, or mepis.

relrobber

Postby relrobber » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:28 pm

haha...disregard my last post. i confused myself when i read the replies today, and thought i had asked about VPN. sorry.

i got VNC installed and working...i just need to add it to init. that was the question.

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Yes, to the best of my knowledge there is no such beast as OpenVNC. VNC, TightVNC, RealVNC, but no OpenVNC...

:)

And I did a find for vnc after the Amahi install; I did not find anything installed. I had to do the install myself.

I can put together my 'standard' notes for someone to make a wiki page for it.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 pm

that would be great (notes -> wiki)!

in the upcoming "new world" of installable apps, this will for sure be one of them to install via the new installer.

also, keep in mind that we get some flak for installing stuff by default when "not everyone needs them" :D
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1