How to include Amahi Shares in Greyhole Drive Pool?

amielgoldberg

How to include Amahi Shares in Greyhole Drive Pool?

Postby amielgoldberg » Thu May 11, 2017 7:08 am

I've just built a new HDA and installed Greyhole UI. Prior to copying files to the HDA Shares (i.e. Amahi Shares), I'd like to ensure that they are included in the Greyhole drive pool. I've searched both this forum and the Amahi Greyhole wiki but have been unable to find instructions on how to do this; perhaps that is the default? At any rate, your guidance would be appreciated.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: How to include Amahi Shares in Greyhole Drive Pool?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:46 am

Prior to copying files to the HDA Shares (i.e. Amahi Shares), I'd like to ensure that they are included in the Greyhole drive pool.
You don't want to include the shares in the Storage Pool unless they are on a separate drive. Doing so will fill up your root partition and crash your HDA.

Using the greyhole-ui App you can enable Greyhole to manage the shares, i.e. creating copies of share files on Greyhole Storage Pool drives.

If I misunderstood your question, then please provide more clarification.

Also you might want to ready up on Greyhole in the #Amahi wiki. No account is required to review the content.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 am

To clarify my question, by default HDA creates a variety of Amahi Shares: Books, Docs, Music, Picture, Video, etc with a location of /var/hda/files/xxx where xxx is the Books, Docs, and so-forth. I'd like these "shares" to be in the greyhole drive pool and note in the root, for the reason you state - I don't want to fill up the root. So, I'm asking how to I get those shares into the pool?

As an aside, these "shares" show up on my network under HDA as folders and I want to ensure that as I use them on my network (as shared storage among the various Windows computers on our network) the files storage there are in the "pool". For example we'll copy our family pictures and home movie to these HDA shares.

I hope this helps clarify my inquiry.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:15 am

I'd like these "shares" to be in the greyhole drive pool and note in the root, for the reason you state - I don't want to fill up the root. So, I'm asking how to I get those shares into the pool?
If you are using Greyhole for these shares, there's no reason to move the actual folders shares to another drive.

When a file is managed by Greyhole in a share, the file is replaced with a symbolic link in var/hda/files/sharename. The actual files are stored on the Greyhole Storage Pool drives.

Recommend you check out the Greyhole Wiki for details.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Thu May 11, 2017 11:56 am

Thank you for the quick reply. I've read the wiki as you suggested; however, I'm still not clear on what's happening with Greyhole and the LZ and Amahi Shares. Am I correct that any files written to the Amashi Shares are automatically moved in the Greyhole pool? I ask because I have a 4TB pool, but it appear to me, and a novice Linux and Amahi user, that the files still reside on /var/hda/files/xxx where xxx represents the share sames. The directory /var/hda/files appears to reside on drive that only has about 400GB free; I have approximately 700GB of files to copy there; hence, I don't want to overwhelm either the shares or Greyhole. Appreciate your clarification of the process. The wiki appears to assume some baseline insights that I don't seem to have. Regards.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Am I correct that any files written to the Amashi Shares are automatically moved in the Greyhole pool?
Only if you have enabled that share in the greyhole-ui App to be managed by Greyhole.

The LZ is basically the shares on /var/hda/files or your root (/) partition. If a share is being managed by Greyhole, when you copy a file to it, the file is then moved to the storage pool and a symbolic link created in the share folder. So then the actual file lives in teh storage pool on a drive, but not on your root (/) partition.

Does that make sense?

Honestly, I never recommend new users implement Greyhole until they know what they are doing. This is an advanced application and best left to the more experienced users.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

amielgoldberg

Postby amielgoldberg » Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm open to learning the necessary skills to become a more seasoned user. It is true that I'm new Linux and HDA, but hardly new to the computers. My feedback would be that the documentation lacks sufficient knowledge transfer to be helpful. in this instance. For instance, I've read and understand the concept and methodology of Greyhole and drive pooling - I simply can't connect the dots between the documentation and the user interface (UI). It's not clear to me that by check the box in the drive pooling UI that the files that were originally placed, or subsequently copied, there begin moving to the storage pool.

I will copy a few 100GB to the share and observed what happens.

Regards

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Understand.

Unfortunately the wiki is community maintained so hard to keep documentation updated.

Our team is very small and all volunteer. Would you be willing to assist with adding/updating documentation in the wiki?

Your perspective from a new inexperienced Linux user would be beneficial to the community.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager