SOLVED: Transmission and overwriting of settings.json

storjord

SOLVED: Transmission and overwriting of settings.json

Postby storjord » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 am

Hey guys!

I've seen several posts on or around the subject, but none that really gives me an idea what the actual problem is and how to fix it. So this is me giving up, pulling over alongside you guys, cracking my window and asking for directions, so to speak.

I did a complete reinstall this weekend, and I want to add an rpc-user/pass, an IP-address to rpc-whitelist and change the download-dir in /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json because I moved my landing zone. I've naturally stopped the service before editing, but the changes get overwritten with every restart of the service.

What is overwriting the file, can I stop that from happening, or can I change the "original" somehow to perhaps overwrite as it does, but with the values I want?

Fedora 23 - Amahi 9

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transmission and overwriting of settings.json

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 am

Recommend you check out Transmission guidance in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

storjord

Postby storjord » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 am

Thanks for your reply.

I'm following the instructions to Add Transmission Web Client Password, but the file keeps getting overwritten and reverted to default when I run "service amahi-transmission restart". I'm following the same recipe when editing the download-dir within the same file, but no matter what I edit, it gets overwritten and goes back to default settings.

What I do is the following:
service amahi-transmission stop
nano /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
edit what I need to edit, press ctrl x, press y and press enter
service amahi-transmission restart
Suddenly, everything is back to default.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 am

Try doing:

Code: Select all

service amahi-transmission reload
Also when you stop the Transmission server, do it from the HDA dashboard, Settings tab, Servers option. Ensure you uncheck the box for watchdog too.

Otherwise, #Amahi senses it is stopped and restarts it automatically. That may be what's happening, starting it before you finish the changes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

storjord

Postby storjord » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

The reload command didn't work, but thanks a bunch for the tip on unchecking the watchdog! The more you know, right?

Adding IP-addresses to the rpc-watchlist now worked, but the changes made to the download directory still got reverted to default. Found a file in /etc/init.d/ called "amahi-transmission" that seemed to contain some of the information I wanted to change, so I edited the TRANSMISSION_DIR=/var/hda/files/torrents to the new location. Works like a charm now.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:42 pm

Good to hear it's working now.

Marking this thread as SOLVED.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager