CLOSED: Not Able to Connect to Shared from Windows - Solution

sharmac

CLOSED: Not Able to Connect to Shared from Windows - Solution

Postby sharmac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:39 pm

I am a fairly new Amahi user (less than 2 months). I used to be able to connect to Amahi shares from my Windows 7 machine but one day it stopped working. The Windows machine could reach Amahi server but had authentication issues. It would pop up a window to retype the username and password. Even if I typed the workgroup in front of username or just a backslash, I still couldn't authenticate. I followed the troubleshooting page on wiki as well: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Shares_troubleshooting. For me, not being able to connect to the shares defeats the whole purpose of setting up Amahi. So I had been trying to solve this problem for last couple of weeks.

Searching on internet for the solution, I noticed a lot of people had similar issues and have posted on this forum, as well as other Samba related forums. None of the solutions proposed in those forum posts helped my issue. So I did some debugging using wireshark and using samba logs (had to change log level to 5) and found the source of the problem. Even if I typed "WORKGROUP\myUserName" or "\myUserName" when prompted to provide credentials on Windows, Windows sent the computer name as the domain name. Then I decided to use commandline to connect to the shares so I could force the domain name and this finally worked. in samba logs, I could see that the correct domain name was received! So here is the command line to connect to Samba shares from windows:

Code: Select all

net use U: \\hda\Movies /USER:WORKGROUP\myUserName /PERSISTENT:YES

Note, I didn't have to type the password as it was already set in the Windows Credential Manager.

I tried to add this info to shares troubleshooting page I mentioned above but I couldn't edit. So, I figured I will share it here. If someone could please add this info to the wiki page, it could be helpful to a lot more people.

P.S. There are other things I tried to change on Windows, in how Windows authenticates with Samba. Some forums suggested changing the Local Security Policy, bringing down the firewall etc. I wouldn't recommend doing that before you try the much safer steps above, especially, if like me, you used to be able to connect to the shares.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Not Able to Connect to Shared from Windows - Solution

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:48 pm

I tried to add this info to shares troubleshooting page I mentioned above but I couldn't edit.
Thanks for reporting your issue and the solution. To edit the wiki, you need to request an account. We have to do this to keep the spammers out unfortunately. Once you request it, let us know here and we can get it quickly approved.

Once you have received wiki access, please add it to the Shares Troubleshooting page above the Windows 10 Samba Issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sharmac

Postby sharmac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:25 pm

I have requested an account and completed the email confirmation step.

sharmac

Postby sharmac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:28 am

FYI, my request was rejected and the email that sent the rejection doesn't accept replies.
Sorry, your request for an account "Sharmac" has been rejected on Amahi Wiki.

Hi, we really only open wiki accounts for spcific needs to edit pages, due to web spam. Do you have any page you needed to update?

There may be contact lists on site that you can use if you want to know more about user account policy.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:24 am

FYI, my request was rejected and the email that sent the rejection doesn't accept replies.
Please resubmit, but ensure you identify you want to update a wiki page based on my recommendation. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention my name.

Your submission may have been perceived as SPAM. Sorry about that.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

sharmac

Postby sharmac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:20 pm

I tried again but got this error:
Username is already in use in a pending account request.
I don't want to use a different username for the wiki account.

bigfoot65,
If the request is still pending, would you be able to get it approved or contact the right people? I don't know how to contact the approvers.
Last edited by sharmac on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't want to use a different username for the wiki account. I guess I should give up on getting an account.
No need to give up. I found a way to reverse the account rejection.

You should receive an email stating the account has been approved. If not, please let me know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

sharmac

Postby sharmac » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 pm

I got the access. Thank you! I will edit the wiki page soon.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know when you finish it and we will mark this topic as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

sharmac

Re: Not Able to Connect to Share from Windows - Solution

Postby sharmac » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 am

I am done updating the Shares troubleshooting page. Please mark this topic closed.