Do you have to use Amahi's DHCP server?

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:41 pm

What is it doing besides supplying the IPv4 address? I see some DDNS entries in the /etc/dhcpd.conf.....

I need to be able to have clients on other subnets access my Amahi server. I could setup vlaning on the Amahi box, but even though I suspect I can figure out the dhcpd requirements (and most likely to matching ddns setup), I wonder if that is all? I would rather Amahi work with WINS from the client (the client hard configured to the Amahi address for its WINS information).

I am currently running an NT domain controller this way, have been for years.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Do you have to use Amahi's DHCP server?

Postby cpg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 pm

No, you don't. Here are the tradeoffs.

What is it doing besides supplying the IPv4 address? I see some DDNS entries in the /etc/dhcpd.conf.....
see the url above to see what it does.
I need to be able to have clients on other subnets access my Amahi server. I could setup vlaning on the Amahi box, but even though I suspect I can figure out the dhcpd requirements (and most likely to matching ddns setup), I wonder if that is all? I would rather Amahi work with WINS from the client (the client hard configured to the Amahi address for its WINS information).
hmmm, this looks like a sophisticated network setup. certainly not a simple home network. nothing wrong with that, however, it's not something we have focused on supporting. even simple networking throws people on a loop.

perhaps you are interested in helping drive support for this setup? ;-)
the current understanding (not being a samba expert, but having talked to some who have helped us get the amahi shares where they are), is that supporting a domain (in the NT sense of the word), may not be too hard from where we are. some login scripts and such may be needed.

again, it's not a simple home network, though it would be interesting, especially, if you are interesting in helping drive and test this. we're open source, so anything is possible, as long as we can find contributors interested in taking the effort to make it happen :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:24 pm

No, you don't. Here are the tradeoffs.
grumble. Given some of the things going on in my networks, OK. I'll punt and switch to using Amahi for dhcpd on this subnet.
hmmm, this looks like a sophisticated network setup. certainly not a simple home network. nothing wrong with that, however, it's not something we have focused on supporting. even simple networking throws people on a loop.

perhaps you are interested in helping drive support for this setup? ;-)
I am FAR from your normal network setup here. This is a full lab here with about 12 vlans now, including my production vlans (4 of them) so I have a lot going.

I would be willing to help as much as I can...
the current understanding (not being a samba expert, but having talked to some who have helped us get the amahi shares where they are), is that supporting a domain (in the NT sense of the word), may not be too hard from where we are. some login scripts and such may be needed.

again, it's not a simple home network, though it would be interesting, especially, if you are interested in helping drive and test this. we're open source, so anything is possible, as long as we can find contributors interested in taking the effort to make it happen :)
I already pointed out the script used by the k12osn community to set up an NT domain with PDC an LDAP. With LDAP and a PDC, you can look to supporting multiple hda servers on a home network. Also login scripts controling who gets what at login time. All those wonderful things NT gave us, without biting off more....

I am going to give this script a try to see if I can 'upgrade' Amahi to a PDC.

relrobber

Postby relrobber » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 pm

samba can be used as a domain controller.
Home HDA: Sony VAIO PCV-RX560, 1.7GHz P4, 320MB RAM

Managed HDA: 512MB RAM

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:12 pm

samba can be used as a domain controller.
Yes it can. And I know of a script over in the k12osn to set it up.

What about for Amahi?

relrobber

Postby relrobber » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:16 pm

this page has some info on setting up your config file to serve different subnets, if you want to use the dhcp server on the HDA.

http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dhcpd.conf.5.html

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 pm

this page has some info on setting up your config file to serve different subnets, if you want to use the dhcp server on the HDA.

http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dhcpd.conf.5.html
Thanks, but it won't help any when every time you boot, the /etc/dhcpd.conf goes back to what it was when you installed Amahi....

relrobber

Postby relrobber » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:09 pm

u may have a point...lol.