Guacamole Resurrected

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Guacamole Resurrected

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:30 am

I decided to back up and try 0.9.8 in the Fedore 23 repos. Now I'm running into an issue of a white screen instead of the guacamole login.
Same issue I encountered.
I think I found a solution for it but it has to do with placing guacamole_home=/etc/guacamole as a line in the appropriate file somewhere so as to tell Tomcat where to look for the guacamole properties file (I think)
Can you share the link? I can try to figure out where is needs to reside.
It would be much simpler to package guacamole as a One Click app if we are not having to "make / make install."
Agreed, but the dependencies alone would time out the install script. It adds/updated over 164 packages to a prestine Amahi install. I may try to create a bash script to do the install which would accomplish the same thing basically without the one-click install app.
As for the files that you listed, do you think the files for Fedora 21 would work?
No as they are the same version as the ones for Fedora 23. The Fedora 19 ones are an older version that is compatible according to the source I read.

Hopefully I will have time this weekend to try it again.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:16 pm

This is the main resource that I have been trying to understand and compare to Fedora 23 / Amahi:

https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/dis ... /?limit=25

It is the most thorough discussion on the "white screen" issue that I have found. Am I correct that the issue is telling Tomcat where a certain resource Guacamole uses is located? Some in the discussion say that setting "GUACAMOLE_HOME" correctly was their solution. Other posters state that creating the symbolic links get the job done. Isn't that what we do with sym link of guacamole.properties for Tomcat listed in the wiki?

Code: Select all

ln -s /etc/guacamole/guacamole.properties /usr/share/tomcat/.guacamole/
Perhaps the problem is that the "lib" and "extensions" directories are in the wrong places. I used code from this posting:
https://deviantengineer.com/2015/02/guacamole-centos7/
which puts them in /usr/share/tomcat/.guacamole but the sourceforge discussion mentions putting them in /etc/guacamole

Also, you said:
No as they are the same version as the ones for Fedora 23.
Good point. I did not think to check the version.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:17 pm

I'll do some more testing this weekend and see if I can determine the issue. With the links you provided and some help from the internet, I should be able to resolve this I would hope.

I think we are close to a solution. More to follow.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:41 am

I just carefully re-read the sourceforge discussion and the "lib" and "extensions" seem to in the right place at /usr/share/tomcat/.guacamole . Happy testing.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:20 am

Ok, I think I have a working Guacamole app now :D

I will update the wiki shortly. I have also created a bash script to perform the entire wiki tutorial, making it easier I hope.

Can you give me some guidance on how you set up RDP for Windows? It would make testing a bit easier so I can ensure it's all working correctly. I have tested SSH and works good.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 am

Wiki is updated and a added an install script.

Even did a manual install on my Banana Pi :D
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:36 pm

RDP on Windows is very simple. You don't have to fill out everything for it to work. The trick is unless you have Windows pro or ultimate versions you have to run a patch that activates RDP.

https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases

You have windows Pro or Enterprise you can Google how to enable remote desktop protocol. (I'm sure you know this but I am including it here for future readers.)

After you have login to guacamole click on your login name in the upper right . In the drop-down menu choose and then you'll find a connections tab on the settings page . Click the add connection button . Below are the settings that I used for RDP:

Name: whatever you want to call it
Protocol: RDP

Maximum number of connections: 2
Maximum number of connections per user:2

Host Name: The fixed IP address of the computer to which you wished to connect.

All the other settings I left either blank or as they were.

The only downside I found with RDP is I cannot be logged in the same time as another user and see what they are seeing. I have set up a VNC and an RDP connection for each Windows computer. RDP is quicker and more fluid so I use RDP when I'm working alone and VNC when I need to see what they're doing.

Later on we can start an addendum to the Amahi Wiki page where I can include these directions with some pictures if needed. What do you think?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Yea I found out that 2 of the 3 Windows machines I have are Home edition, so no RDP.

Adding more guidance to the wiki is always good. Feel free to add and I will format it as needed.

BTW, did you try the install script or new wiki guidance? Seems to be working well for me.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:29 pm

I updated the Amahi Guacamole Wiki with some RDP instructions. Do you think they need some screencaptures or are they clear enough? I will add VNC suggested settings later.

As for your Windows Home machines, I have had good success with RDP Wrapper Library.

I looked over the script. Great Work!
Question: Should I remove the source installation that I did before trying your script? I have done a little research and think I can use "./config" and then "make uninstall" to take things out. I have some other Amahi servers that I can use to test the script as a fresh install of Guacamole and give some feedback.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:48 am

Do you think they need some screencaptures or are they clear enough?
Screen shots are always good.
Should I remove the source installation that I did before trying your script?
If possible, that would be a good idea. It's best to try on a machine that never had it installed though.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager