suggestions re backing up laptops to HDA

road

suggestions re backing up laptops to HDA

Postby road » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:06 am

Am running HDA on home network and I want to back-up 5 laptops to the server.

Any suggestions on successfully doing this?

I've tried Macruium, Paragon, EaseUs but none have worked. All fail somewhere during the process. Some files seem to write to the server. The server works fine as a media server and file server with no problems reading and writing to it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

bt107

Re: suggestions re backing up laptops to HDA

Postby bt107 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 am

You might look at Crashplan. That's what I've been using for a few years now. I back up client PCs to the server then backup the server shares to Crashplan Central, their subscription-based online service. Works well for me.

road

Postby road » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:06 am

Cool, thanks. I'll give it ago. I assume this wiki Crashplan is still accurate and will follow that. :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:34 am

The wiki guidance may be outdated for Amahi 9.

What are you wanting to back up? Files? There are many 3rd party applications you can run on the laptops to back up to the HDA. If using Windows, backup software is built in.

If you are wanting to do a full metal backup, you will likely need to use something like Clonezilla.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

road

Postby road » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:16 am

Thanks for your reply. I want to be able to reinstall the OS and all files. We've had hdd failures and rebuilding machines has been a real pain. I'd like an easier rebuild option as well as periodic backup of files (doc, mp3, images, spread sheets etc). I have considered crashplan but am worried of messing up the install as it doesn't seem a straightforward process for a novice like me. I'll look into clonezilla.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:59 am

I want to be able to reinstall the OS and all files.
Clonezilla is your best option. We have the clonezilla App in BETA if you would like to test it for Amahi 9.

Providing your DHCP server in the HDA, it will allow client machines to boot Clonezilla from the HDA. The images are also stored on the HDA in a share.
I'd like an easier rebuild option as well as periodic backup of files (doc, mp3, images, spread sheets etc).
The best option for files is to use the client OS backup utility to an HDA share or a third party tool. I use FreeFileSync for all my clients, scheduling backups at night throughout the week.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

road

Postby road » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks for your reply.
"Clonezilla is your best option. We have the clonezilla App in BETA if you would like to test it for Amahi 9."
I'd be happy to test it out. Are you able to let me know how I get involved in that?
Providing your DHCP server in the HDA, it will allow client machines to boot Clonezilla from the HDA. The images are also stored on the HDA in a share.
My DHCP server is in the HDA.
The best option for files is to use the client OS backup utility to an HDA share or a third party tool. I use FreeFileSync for all my clients, scheduling backups at night throughout the week.
I'll give the M$ O/S a go (since Win 10 upgrade I've had write problems to HDA but I think they are just about sorted). I'll take a look at FreeFileSync and see if I can work out how to use it.

bt107

Postby bt107 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:36 am

Since you're running Win 10 on your clients another really simple option for file backup is File History. You could define a share on the hda and use that as your File History destination.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 am

I'd be happy to test it out. Are you able to let me know how I get involved in that?
I've granted you access to test the clonezilla App. Please let us know how it goes.
I'll take a look at FreeFileSync and see if I can work out how to use it.
It's pretty easy to use. I have been using it for quite some time with no issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager