CLOSED: ipvanish

razzz

CLOSED: ipvanish

Postby razzz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:20 am

Hi, its been a year now and I keep coming back to Amahi :-)

having installed Amahi successfully after i gave up tinkering in the past. I am now trying to figure how to divert my ip address so I can use it for NZB or torrents. I am sure I am not the only one here that is doing this. I have an Ipvanish subscription which I can use on my pc's. however I would like my HDA to be able to switch to a VPN when I am downloading and then switch it off when I am done.

in short if I have confused anyone.
get my HDA to connect to a secured VPN
use transmission to download some stuff
disconnect from this VPN and transmission and resume normal until needed again.

so this is not getting computers to connect to the HDA via VPN , its getting the HDA to connect to a VPN. I guess it would need a VPN client ? can this be achieved using any of the apps or would I need to install openvpn on fedora ?

would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

thank you

razzz

Re: ipvanish

Postby razzz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:48 pm

firstly I would like to apologise for posting this request in the wrong section. after research I found a section called VPN. :oops:
moderators please dont kill me, but if you could move this to the VPN section section it would be much appreciated.
the answer to my request was not in the VPN section as well by the way. :?:

I wanted a setup whereby I could start an openvpn connection to be hidden from my ISP. download some stuff and then when done close this VPN connection and resume normal browsing. I could connect the VPN , start bit torrent or NZB downloads and when done I would close both the vpn and the application used.

Anyhow I have managed to get this working with my limited knowledge on linux. :idea:
it would be great if someone could help turn this into a script, help me remove some kinks or even better build an amahi app for this ??
just for the record I am running amahi 9 with fedora 23 headless on an atom 330 board with 2gigs of ram.

here goes in short

..content moved to Ipvanish VPN wiki page...

I am gone try to work on creating a shell script that will start the VPN service and another one to kill the connection. wouldn't it be awesome if we could have an amahi app that would allow the import of the config files in a specified folder. maybe show the geolocation of the connected VPN IP address. and an option to connect and disconnect. I am sure this is not impossible. I will try and see if I can achieve this, but if anyone out there is gifted please help me out.

for now I hope this might help someone thats looking to achieve something similar to what I am.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Could you please add this to the Amahi wiki?

We would greatly appreciate it. The forums is not the best place for a tutorial.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

razzz

Postby razzz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:05 am

hi Bigfoot65

Sure I would be glad to help where i can. however I got a question for you in regards to posting this in the wiki

do I create a new section called Ipvanish or should this be in the VPN section as the method can apply to other IP VPN hiding services such as hidemyass etc. Perhaps shall I create a VPN client section ?

I have requested a amahi wiki account as it didnt seem to accept my amahi forum login credentials

thx

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:52 am

Sure I would be glad to help where i can.
We greatly appreciate your assistance.
do I create a new section called Ipvanish
I would recommend creating a new page for this one. We can add a link to the VPN wiki page to keep things clean.
I have requested a amahi wiki account as it didnt seem to accept my amahi forum login credentials
Yes amahi.org credentials don't work here. I will look for your account request and approve it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

razzz

Postby razzz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:06 am

Thank you bigfoot65.

I have created the wiki page. Hope this is up to standards :-)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 am

Great and thanks!

I will take a look at Ipvanish VPN wiki page and make any adjustments if needed.

It will be added to the list of community contributions page as well.

Marking this topic as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager