HDA not appearing in "SHARED" under osx

batoum

HDA not appearing in "SHARED" under osx

Postby batoum » Tue May 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi

Firstly - i have read the wiki on this - https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/SharingToMacOSX

The issue i am having is that HDA is not available under "Shared" when I open finder. Interestingly, Amahi TM (from Timemachine) is. What is the conf file that i need to review to see what the problem is? As an FYI, i changed the workgroup name - could that be the issue?

As I said, please do not refer me to the wiki. I know i can rebuild a link via smb but i have a bunch of apps that have links built in using hda and i would like to not have to rebuild them. Ideally, the HDA would appear normally.

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: HDA not appearing in "SHARED" under osx

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:17 pm

What is the conf file that i need to review to see what the problem is?
Not sure you mean by the conf file you need to review. Can you be more specific?
As an FYI, i changed the workgroup name - could that be the issue?
Possibly.
As I said, please do not refer me to the wiki.
This is our repository of knowledge and how to guidance. If it is applicable to a situation, we often refer users there. Is there a reason you don't want to use it?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

batoum

Postby batoum » Wed May 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Sorry - my post came across incorrectly. I was trying to say that i have searched the wiki, forums etc and have found no luck to solve the problem. Wasnt trying to be rude (but can see it was!)

So - I seem to remember a few months ago finding a conf file that had the settings for naming the HDA. But i cant remember where (or if that is correct). My theory is that it is corrupt.

My second theory is that changing the workgroup in the settings also influenced it. But i cannot remember what the default is and how to check that it is updated.

Otherwise, any suggestions? The thing that really confuses me is that the Amahi TM is appearing under shared but no the hda. I find that really odd....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:21 pm

So - I seem to remember a few months ago finding a conf file that had the settings for naming the HDA. But i cant remember where (or if that is correct). My theory is that it is corrupt.
I believe this is done via Samba automatically. I am not aware of any file other area that reflects HDA.
My second theory is that changing the workgroup in the settings also influenced it. But i cannot remember what the default is and how to check that it is updated.
See the Amahi wiki. I presume all your clients are using the HDA for DHCP/DNS, correct?
The thing that really confuses me is that the Amahi TM is appearing under shared but no the hda.
That may be related to the software broadcasting separate from the HDA itself. Not sure, but yes it's odd.

Is there a firewall running somewhere that might be blocking the HDA? Not sure where else to go with this one.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

batoum

Postby batoum » Wed May 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi - you pointed me to the wiki! :D ;) ;) :D

On the second point, the HDA is configured as recommended in that it provides DHCP services, etc. In fact, the HDA used to appear in finder and then stopped in the last few weeks.

Looked at the smb.conf file and this is what i have:

Code: Select all

# Any manual changes MAY BE OVERWRITTEN # Amahi configuration, generated on 2016-05-03 22:03:11 +0100 [global] workgroup = WORKGROUP server string = amahi.net netbios name = hda printing = cups printcap name = cups load printers = yes cups options = raw log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log log level = 0 max log size = 150 preferred master = yes os level = 60 time server = yes unix extensions = no wide links = yes security = user username map script = /usr/share/hda-platform/hda-usermap large readwrite = yes encrypt passwords = yes dos charset = CP850 unix charset = UTF8 guest account = nobody map to guest = Bad User wins support = yes
I am not an expert, but this looks correct. When i looked at the log, the top entry is:

[2016/05/01 03:21:20.289861, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:354(find_domain_master_name_query_fail) find_domain_master_name_query_fail: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP. Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup./code] This appeared after a recent reboot. Any thoughts?

batoum

Postby batoum » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Sorry - i screwed up the log submission. It should read:

[2016/05/01 03:21:20.289861, 0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:354(find_domain_master_name_query_fail) find_domain_master_name_query_fail: Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP. Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Is that the correct workgroup for your networK? That appears to be the default set when installing Amahi.

Also you can try this:

A. Change DNS provider in the dashboard
B. Set it back to what it was before

This change has helped some. Just a thought.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager