CLOSED: Timemachine backups with Amahi

kevlarmusik

Re: Timemachine backups with Amahi

Postby kevlarmusik » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 am

So...I've been working on sorting this out to make sure there is no mistake. In the past 4 days I've re-installed Ubuntu and Amahi 4 times, and with various changes (i.e. not installing updates before and after Amahi, etc.) just to be certain that the issue wasn't originating due to my method of installation.

I even re-installed Mountain Lion on my main machine (it was necessary in any case) and was able to verify that that wasn't causing conflicts in any way.

I'm now left wondering why I spent money on a one-click solution (Amahi TimeMachine) given that I've done extensive work on my part with still no results. If anyone else has had issues with their installation that hasn't contributed to this thread i'd be grateful for you taking the time to share. The major issue here is that I can see and interact with the hda shares over the network, but there is no sign of a Time Machine share unless I delete and reinstall netatalk. I'm sure there's a simple solution here.

I'm quite a novice when it comes to Linux, but I'm generally pretty good at figuring out workarounds for problems such as this. If you can contribute in any way, please message me!

Thanks in advance!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 am

@kevlarmusik, I am just catching up here and I do not see a precise description of the issue.

We have tested this app fairly well, and we regret it's not working for you. Let's figure it out.

What exactly and precisely is the issue you are facing?

Can you use put up details here? or use apaste to paste details on the web and share the URL of the details here?

Thanks
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

kevlarmusik

Postby kevlarmusik » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for your response. The specific issue I'm having is that the "Amahi" share that should be showing the Time Machine backup location is not visible on my network. Precisely why this is happening is beyond my understanding of Linux, however, through a fairly tedious process of fiddling around, I found that uninstalling and reinstalling the Netatalk package somehow makes this share visible.( The only problem here is that as soon as i reboot the machine, we're back to the original issue.)

To get into a couple specifics, the server machine is an Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GHz with 4gb ram. I'm running Amahi on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

I've got 3 Macs in the house, none of which can see the time machine share. All of them are running Mac OS 10.8.2.

If you need some specific logs to help figure this out, I'd be happy to provide whatever is required.

kevlarmusik

Postby kevlarmusik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:03 am

Well...Good news and bad news. I just ran a test. I wiped the server again and installed from the Amahi Express cd (fedora 14). Amahi TimeMachine works a treat. Both the Amahi server and hda are visible from my Macs. The bad news is that I've still got no idea why it won't run properly under Ubuntu on that same machine. Gonna keep running on here for a while i guess until i find the time to do some more digging, or someone comes up with an answer.

Cheers!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am

I dropped the ball. We're very busy working on the Amahi 7 release.

The logs needed are /var/log/afpd.log and /var/log/racoon.log, though I realize this is too late. Sorry.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

kevlarmusik

Postby kevlarmusik » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 am

I dropped the ball. We're very busy working on the Amahi 7 release.

The logs needed are /var/log/afpd.log and /var/log/racoon.log, though I realize this is too late. Sorry.

Hey, no worries at all. I'm just having fun trying to figure it out on my own as well. It is a bit frustrating to not have things work as you expect first time around, but that also gives me the opportunity to learn a little more about the inner workings of Linux, and ultimately, makes me better at trying to diagnose my own problems. In any case, if I decide to go back to Ubuntu in the next couple of weeks, i'll drop you a PM and we can check it out a little more.

;)

stephenwal

Postby stephenwal » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:49 am

Hi,
I'm having difficulty changing the destination for my time machine backups. Currently they're pointed at the usb stick that Amahi boots off.

How would I go about changing this, I have looked at the wiki but can workout where I would make those changes? Any help would be great as I'm stumped!

Thanks!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:57 am

The paragraph on changing the backup location for Amahi Time Machine should work still.

stephenwal

Postby stephenwal » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks! i've managed to sort it all out.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to confirm!

Definitely let us know if the page needs to be updated or made better in any way.