Changing ifcfg-ethx

dagunnyeyes

Changing ifcfg-ethx

Postby dagunnyeyes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:08 am

I am trying to make a permanent change in ifcfg-ethx to include DHCP_HOSTNAME="myhostname" so when it requests an IP address from my reserved DHCP address, it announces it's hostname so my Windows clients can attach. When I change it, after reboot it reverts back to the initial setup. Is Amahi changing this and if so, how can I make it permanent so it is not overwritten or modify Amahi so it includes this line? I want to, and have been, using my router DNS and DHCP. It works, but my clients cannot see the hostname (hda) of my Amahi box unless I do this. Even including an entry in the /etc/hosts file of the Windows clients doesn't allow it to be shown in network boxes available. I have changed the smb.conf to reflect my existing workgroup. Any thoughts?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Changing ifcfg-ethx

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:05 pm

That may be an Amahi controlled file.

Recommend you check the FAQ on the Amahi web site for details about your configuration.

By using your router, there are limitations.

Why not point your Router DNS to the Amahi Server. Then on the Amahi server, configure the DNS to be what your router was using. This might resolve your problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dagunnyeyes

Postby dagunnyeyes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:02 am

This is a closed net system and needs no inbound access from outside the router once it is setup and running. I have other systems, including security cameras, that are mission critical and if a machine goes down, then everything breaks. The router is much more reliable so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just need a way to either configure amahi not to overwrite or to include the statement in it's overwriting.
Same for smb.conf.
If you know of a work around please post.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:38 pm

See answer in the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6343

Please try not to post the same topic in multiple areas. This clogs up the forums with unnecessary traffic.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2