SOLVED: Cannot see Amahi HDA on my network after Windows 10 update

tephelan

Re: Cannot see Amahi HDA on my network after Windows 10 update

Postby tephelan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:21 pm

I was having the same issue. I could access the HDA server shares that were mapped but could not see the HDA server via my Windows 10 network view.
After spending 2 days on this issue and trying all the "fixes", I found out there is an issue with a Linux box being the master browser.
Here is what I did to get the Amahi server to show back up in the Network browse:
Disable SAMBA on the HDA from being the Master Browser.
Change these setting in /etc/smb.conf to what I have below and reboot the HDA.
preferred master = no
os level = 0

Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 pm

That is interesting.

The fix you noted is temporary. The smb.conf file will be rewritten by Amahi at some point and revert the changes.

Not sure why this is an issue with your machine as I don't have any problems. I am using Windows 10 with the latest updates and Fedora 21 Amahi 8.

Please submit a bug report. Login with your amahi.org credentials then select Projects. Next choose Platform and New Issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:15 pm

BTW the server should be the master browser not the client in a workgroup.

You can search the Internet and see articles that indicate such.

Best if you find a solution to make the client not be the master browser.

Just my opinion and a more permanent fix.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Superted

Postby Superted » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:52 pm

I have also been experiencing this issue with viewing Amahi 8 on my network explorer using Windows 10. I've have had a look into this issue and it looks to be an issue with Windows 10, which as you have said was caused by a windows update to SMB2/3. This issue has been reported elsewhere using different systems not just Amahi. This is an issue caused by Microsoft and as such should be fixed by Microsoft, so sadly it will be a case of waiting.

Thankfully it looks like Samba 4.2+ can work with the newer SMB features to bypass this issue. I've just checked my HDA and it is using Samba version 4.1.20. So Samba could be updated, but this might have knock on effects for Amahi which I am not sure of; but this is Microsoft's problem and they should fix it! So I've looked around for another fix and found this on another forum, thankfully this works for me until Microsoft can resolve this issue.
This will fix the SMB issue until MS patches the problem - open a administrator command prompt and type the following hitting enter after each line.

Code: Select all

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
then Restart the computer

To reverse this change and re-enable SMBv3 run the following commands at at the elevated command prompt

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto
then Restart the computer

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Good work Superted.

This is something we might want to add to the wiki.

As for updating Samba to the newer version, it likely won't happen for Fedora 21. Fedora has discontinued OS updates and support back in December.

You can execute as root user:

yum update
If there are no updates, then you will not see it with Fedora 21. I believe 4.1.2 is it for this OS version.

This should not be an issue with Amahi 9, Fedora 23. We hope to have it ready by the middle of Feb if all goes well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:50 pm

A work around has been added for this issue in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

dagunnyeyes

Re: SOLVED: Cannot see Amahi HDA on my network after Windows 10 update

Postby dagunnyeyes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:37 pm

I had a similar issue. I installed KDE GUI on top of the server and made it the default display so I could do things directly from the box. I needed to see the hostname hda so I could use Windows 10 to remote desktop to the Linux box hda. I could use Putty and connect with no problem but I wanted to see things like CPU usage, temperatures, and network traffic in a GUI as clients connected to the hda.

Easiest way was to disable the firewall
systemstl disable firewalld

I modified my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eno1 and/or ifcfg-enp1s0 to include:
DHCP_HOSTNAME = "hda" (Amahi blows it away each reboot but the Plex servers don't - see below)
add to /etc/hosts any machines I wanted to connect to
oh - did I mention I am using my router's DNS and DHCP? I gave the hda a reserved address on the router DHCP server by MAC address so it always gets the same IP address.

I edited /etc/samba/smb.conf and changed the WORKGROUP to mine (Amahi has a place to add this).

Then I had problems mapping the drives and writing to them with drag and drop (Windows 10 to Linux). I wanted a back door to move files around while not messing with the Amahi shares specifically for the clients.
I went into /etc/selinux and modified selinux.conf
selinux=disable
If you want to keep Selinux I found this worked as well but I have a closed system so I didn't need it.
setsebool -P samba-export-all-rw=1

On the Windows 10 box I did this:
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Either reboot the Windows 10 PC or kill explorer through task manager and start it again.

To remote desktop in I added this:
yum install xrdp
systemctl enable xrdp.service
systemctl start xrdp.service
systemctl enable xrdp-sesman.service
systemctl start xrdp-sesman.service

chcon –t bin-t /usr/sbin/xrdp
chcon –t bin_t /usr/sbin/xrdp-sesman
systemctl reenable xrdp.service
systemctl start xrdp.service
systemctl status xrdp.service

I was then able to browse the hda in Windows 10 clients, map drives, and right click on the hda to remote desktop in giving me the KDE GUI on the Windows 10 box. I needed more than http://hda:9090. The hda is now in lights-out mode.

Lots of trial and error last week but I documented it - if anyone wants my full install instructions from scratch, send me a PM. There are legitimate reasons for wanting to see the hostname hda on the Windows network and the above reasons were mine so I share the results.
Bottom line is it works.

I have two boxes running hda that I swap out (both same hostname and IP address) and 4 plex servers I'm playing with trying to overload my bandwidth ;)

In the end I find it's easier to just load Plex on top of Fedora because you have control of the files and not Amahi. I like the concept of Amahi but it's very rigid. I'll continue to use both because of different needs and just plain like tinkering with things.

And then there was the iTunes issues but that's another story. I have those instructions as well and it was successful.

My $.02.
Semper Fi.

marcolarouche

Re: SOLVED: Cannot see Amahi HDA on my network after Windows 10 update

Postby marcolarouche » Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello there,

I am running Amahi 8 on home network. After one of my machine that runs windows 10 got its update, amahi hda disappear from home network. I do not know what to do. I have already rebooted amahi, router and windows machine. I called to Microsoft for assistance, but they could not help. Can anyone help me?
I just overcome this situation tonight by Turning ON SMB feature of windows that somehow went Off few weeks ago. I suppose this could be cause by update because 3 W10 client to my HDA were affected.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (171.89 KiB) Viewed 4967 times