CLOSED: List of questions for upgrade from amahi 7 to 8

Maxpwr

CLOSED: List of questions for upgrade from amahi 7 to 8

Postby Maxpwr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:14 am

As usual you guys are doing a great job. Been happy with amahi 7. Thinking of updating to maintain the ability to receive support. My current version was a full fedora 19 install with gnome desktop. Can I follow the upgrade with the fedup tool and let it update to headless version of fedora 21 now or do I need to do a clean install? If so should I disconnect my drive that contains my hda files folder? Can the new disk app I amahi 8 allow me to move location of hda file folder location from 1 drive to another? Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: List of questions for upgrade from amahi 7 to 8

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:49 am

Can I follow the upgrade with the fedup tool and let it update to headless version of fedora 21 now or do I need to do a clean install?
Clean install since you have Gnome desktop installed. We do not support any desktop addon in Amahi 8 and it typically breaks the networking.
If so should I disconnect my drive that contains my hda files folder?
Yes if you have additional drives connected with data.
Can the new disk app I amahi 8 allow me to move location of hda file folder location from 1 drive to another?
Yes the Amahi Disk Wizard app lets you name the mount point for dirves.

If you have additional questions, please let us know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Maxpwr

Postby Maxpwr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:40 am

Will disk wizard be able to handle pointing the hda share files to the already formatted storage drive after I reconnect it?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Not sure if understand your question.

The wizard will mount the disk based on what you choose, i.e. disk1, sdb1, etc.

If you mean point the shares to the disk, that has to be done manually via the dashboard. You would need to change the path for each share. All contents of the shares would need to be moved to the new disk.

Make sense?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Maxpwr

Postby Maxpwr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:18 pm

So I guess I should phrase it this way. After I install amahi 8 and reconnect my large hard drives that contain my music and movies from amahi 7 installation. How will disk wizard handle that data drive being added back in? Will I also need a new install code?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 pm

How will disk wizard handle that data drive being added back in?
The wizard will mount the drive, but as I mentioned you will need to point the shares to the location via the dashboard.
Will I also need a new install code?
I would recommend a new install code for a new install. That ensures there are no issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Maxpwr

Postby Maxpwr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:37 am

So I did a clean install last night. Went fine then I added in my large hard drive that had picture files from amahi 7 install. Used the disk wizard to mount it. Went to the folders that list movies, documents, etc and changed their path to that of the new mounted hard drive. Got folder size information and that updated as expected. But when I use windows explorer to check out the folders on the hda the folders show empty, what am I missing?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Ensure the permissions are set correctly. Can you see the files via command line? If so, who owns the files?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bt107

Postby bt107 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:30 am

Are you using Greyhole? If so you need to follow the instructions in the OS Migration Guide explicitly. When I upgraded to Amahi 8 from 7 I thought the Disk Wizard would read and mount the Greyhole drives such that Greyhole would find them and rebuild the links. It didn't work that way. The Disk Wizard mounted the drives just fine but when I looked in the shares, they were empty. The shares were defined correctly and pointed to the same locations as before, but no files. To Greyhole these were like new empty disks. Luckily I had saved a copy of fstab from the previous install. I edited the new fstab file and replaced the UUID lines for the Greyhole disks with the UUIDs from the old file. After a reboot, Greyhole found the shares and began happily rebuilding all the links.

Let me emphasize that editing fstab like I did can be dangerous. A mistake can render your server un-bootable. Since this was a fresh install and the data on the disks was safe I figured if I messed up I could just re-install and start over.

Maxpwr

Postby Maxpwr » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:55 pm

No I'm not trying to use Greyhole. How can I ensure permissions are set correctly? I have ssh into the server changed my working directory to /var/hda/files/drives/sdb1/movies and did ls command. This returned no listings which is weird because the disk has 48% usage and when I access the server through the GUI on the website and the shares tab I had set the movies location to /var/hda/files/drives/sdb1/movies. I clicked get size and it reports a correct size of 12.4 GB which I remember from when this disk was on the amahi 7 machine.