SOLVED: Weird DNS problem: some devices work some do not

akreaxun

Re: Weird DNS problem: some devices work some do not

Postby akreaxun » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:45 am

Thanks for your hint.
  • I have deleted all DNS entries on the router. --> no change
  • The other option of setting 192.168.0.10 (Amahi Server) twice (primary and secondary DNS server) is prevented by the software of the router. Secondary has to be different from the first. Therefore, primary 192.168.0.10, secondary *void* --> no change
BTW: the router

After two weeks of close observation I have found another pattern:
Computers (my ultrabook, dad's mac, host system of amahi) can deal with dynamic mode, but all other devices (incl. iphones, TV's) need to be set to static and point to 8.8.8.8 ...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:06 pm

This appears isolated to your network. Maybe restricted by the router.

I have no such issues on my network.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:41 pm

A friend of mine an I were working on the network yesterday evening. I think we found a solution. Indeed this problem is related to this specific router for sure but I suspect it affects all customers of UPC that are using a router from the company: It seems that you cannot turn off the DNS. We figured that one needs to put the same DNS IP into the primariy DNS server of the router as is selected on amahi. Example: I select Google DNS on amahi, therefore I need to write 8.8.8.8 into the primary DNS of the router.

With this setting the amahi specific name resolution keeps working and all the "non-PC" devices can be switched to DHCP mode.

What the logic behind this is - I do not know. It just works and got the issue off my back.

Thanks for all your patience and help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 am

Interesting.

Is this something you could document in the wiki? It would help other users with the same router.

Closing thread.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2