SOLVED: Applications

genel

SOLVED: Applications

Postby genel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:17 pm

I have been an Amahi user for a couple of years now and one of the things I find profoundly disappointing about the system is the slow progress of application availability. I can't count the number of times I have searched for an app to do something and found just the thing to find it is in "beta" for my version of Amahi. At first I thought I will just wait for them to finish with it, then I realized "they" might never do so. I upgraded to version 7 of Amahi because it was supposed to be faster and better, but now I can't have Transmission or Couchpatato because they're still in beta for Fedora 21.

I'm a software developer and I don't mind a few bugs in my software if I am forewarned, and I don't mind writing detailed bug reports (I'm irritatingly good at it) so I thought, ok I'll sign up for the testers program. No dice, the program is closed.

So the only option to get reasonable access to software is to pay monthly for access to beta software and I am not going to do that. I don't mind buying reasonably priced software. I have bought a couple of apps from Amahi and have been happy with the results. But I won't sign up to pay anybody monthly for software, I'll buy it, but I won't rent it.

So, I have set up additional virtual machines to run software I could have run on Amahi, except it was in beta. Mostly I use Amahi as a file server; Greyhole is great. But I was hoping for so much more.

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Applications

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:40 am

Hello,

I think you misunderstood the status of an app. If the app shows GREEN for Feodoa 19, then its LIVE. What you are seeing for Fedora 21 are apps we have begun working for Amahi 8. The overall app status listed can be deceiving. The important piece here is to look for the specific Amahi OS that you are using.

If there are apps in Fedora 19 that are BETA you are interested in, please let us know. You may be able to help with getting them tested and moved to LIVE. There are some apps that may need a lot of work to make that happen though.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Well, it's always embarrassing to rant and then be wrong. My apologies.

So, can you tell me the magic to download "Transmission"? It does not have a purchase button, but it also does not show up in my server's "Apps->Available" page. What am I doing wrong?

Gene

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:33 am

Did you check the app for a fee while logged into amahi.org?

I am not sure if it has one, but if it did not then it would be in the available apps list.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

genel

Postby genel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:49 am

Yes, I did check it for a fee and it does not seem to have one: http://www.amahi.org/apps/transmission
But it does not show in the apps page on my server, see attachment.

Well the attachment did not work (got HTTP Error in a dialog box, no details). I could send it to you or you can trust me that it's not there.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 am

Odd that it is not showing up.

I checked to verify availability and it's showing for F19.

You might need to contact support.

I presume you looked through your entire list for the app and did not just rely on a search.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

genel

Postby genel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:23 am

I did go through the list line by line (though generally I trust searches better than my eyes when searching a long list). But in any case I have shared a PDF of the apps list page at: https://owncloud.asap.armadillo.nu/ownc ... qltm6CnlAi

genel

Postby genel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:34 am

Ok, I have figured out the problem (I think). I was not signed to the Amahi.org web site. It appears that if you are not signed in, no prices show up on the apps page.

As soon as I signed in, Transmission shows a $4.99 price tag.

So that is weird. So now I can purchase the app and install it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 am

Yes, that is why I asked.
Did you check the app for a fee while logged into amahi.org?
Costs will only show when logged into the site.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager