SOLVED: HDA-OpenDNS do not resolve for local hosts from HDA itself

itec

SOLVED: HDA-OpenDNS do not resolve for local hosts from HDA itself

Postby itec » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:03 am

Hi folks!

After installing my Amahi 7.4 lately the DNS (OpenDNS) seems to work fine from all hosts on the local network.
(The Amahi-server is also doing the DHCP)

From my Win7-PC, I can do a "nslookup router" or "nslookup <other-local-host>" or "nslookup setup" or "nslookup HDA" and it resolves nicely.

When doing nslookup fram the Amahi-server itself, (console or ssh-teminal) the DNS does not resolve local names.

Code: Select all

cat resolv.conf # Generated by NetworkManager nameserver 208.67.222.222 nameserver 208.67.220.220
Should the Amahi resolv.conf point to localhost (127.0.0.1) in order to use the OpenDNS also for the Amahi-server itself?
Any other suggestions?

Best regards
ZippZapp

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: HDA-OpenDNS do not resolve for local hosts from HDA itself

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Check your DNS settings by following the changing your DNS provider. You want to try OpenDNS by default.

Then check the /etc/resolve.conf file afterwards to see if there is any change.

It should reflect:
search domain.com
nameserver HDA IP Address
nameserver HDA IP Address
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

itec

Postby itec » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks, Bigfoot65!

My setting was already set to "OpenDNS".
But after setting it to "Custom DNS" and then back to "OpenDNS" the resolv-file now is exactly as you described.
I think it may have been messed up by installing Plex.

Now the resolve.conf looks just like you described:

Code: Select all

$ cat resolv.conf # Automatically generated by hda-ctl on 2015-02-19 22:49:10 search <internal.domain.name> nameserver <hda-ip-address> nameserver <hda-ip-address>
Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Good to hear it's all working now. Happy to help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bellamatt

Re: SOLVED: HDA-OpenDNS do not resolve for local hosts from HDA itself

Postby bellamatt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:55 am

Hey, not sure if I should start a new topic for this but I had a similar problem after a recent blackout. On restart of the server I could ping hda and other amahi DNS names from connected computers, but not from my amahi HDA itself.

I tried to run the network troubleshooter but I dont think it's configured for Fedora 19? It asks for "named" service status and conf files, but my system uses dnsmasq. Anyway, I got the dns working from the hda home page by choosing the OpenDNS DNS servers then choosing my custom DNS servers again. After I did this the /etc/resolv.conf came out as expected and everything it working fine.

The reason I'm posting this is to check whether this is a bug, or something I've mucked up on my system, or just a one-off problem? I tried doing a manual restart of dnsmasq from SSH but it didn't fix the issue, only the webpage toggle worked.

Sorry in advance if this should be a new thread, not sure if it's related to the problem from the original poster.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 am

Not sure if this is a bug or not. I have heard of one other person having a similar issue. The solution you implemented was the answer.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

radioz

Postby radioz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks Bigfoot65, that solved my (unreported) problem too.

I had done a yum update of my hda system a couple of weeks ago and after that my internal DNS wasn't working properly.
Based on your suggestion, I looked in my control panel and found that GoogleDNS had been selected. So something in the update must have switched it (perhaps that is a default value?).

Re-selecting OpenDNS fixed it up again.

Thanks again,
radioz