Dropbox for all users

evylrat

Dropbox for all users

Postby evylrat » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm following the guide outlined http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/DropBox
I'm hoping to get dropbox running for all users, to take advantage of the LAN sync feature.

I'm trying to get it running for one user. It's synced fine, but I'm following the Post install now.
[root@amahi sysconfig]# service dropbox start
: No such file or directory4: /etc/sysconfig/dropbox
[root@amahi sysconfig]# ls /etc/sysconfig/dropbox
/etc/sysconfig/dropbox
[root@amahi sysconfig]#
The file's there, and it's got my username in as described in the Wiki. Any ideas?
Also, how do I continue to add a second user?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Dropbox for all users

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Did you follow the wiki exactly? It is crucial that the files have the write permissions and ownership assigned.

Also, not sure if you can have more than one user or not. Never tried it, but I authored the wiki page. I did test it, but that was on Fedora 12. Have not tried it on Fedora 14 yet.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

evylrat

Postby evylrat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:32 am

Did you follow the wiki exactly? It is crucial that the files have the write permissions and ownership assigned.

Also, not sure if you can have more than one user or not. Never tried it, but I authored the wiki page. I did test it, but that was on Fedora 12. Have not tried it on Fedora 14 yet.
Ahhh, I'm running 14 now. I'm sure I had it running on 12 for single user no problem. Wasn't sure if the wiki had changed and something was up. No probs, thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

You might check out the dropbox site. They could have updated the software and changed the links.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

WiFiNetGuy

Postby WiFiNetGuy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having an issue getting Dropbox service to start. I have followed the wiki exactly and when I get to the point of issuing "service dropbox start" I get the following error:

======
Starting dropbox (via systemctl): Job for dropbox.service failed. See 'systemctl status dropbox.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
[FAILED]
======

After which I issue "systemctl status dropbox.service" and get:

======
dropbox.service - LSB: Start up the Dropbox file syncing daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/dropbox)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2015-01-20 08:47:10 EST; 40s ago
Process: 3009 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/dropbox start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start up the Dropbox file syncing daemon...
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: dropbox.service: control process exited, code=exited status=203
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Start up the Dropbox file syncing daemon.
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit dropbox.service entered failed state.
======

And "journalctl -xn" gives me:

======
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Start up the Dropbox file syncing daemon...
-- Subject: Unit dropbox.service has begun with start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/li ... temd-devel
--
-- Unit dropbox.service has begun starting up.
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[3009]: Failed at step EXEC spawning /etc/rc.d/init.d/dropbox: Exec format error
-- Subject: Process /etc/rc.d/init.d/dropbox could not be executed
--
-- The process /etc/rc.d/init.d/dropbox could not be executed and failed.
--
-- The error number returned while executing this process is 8.
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: dropbox.service: control process exited, code=exited status=203
Jan 20 08:47:10 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Start up the Dropbox file syncing daemon.
-- Subject: Unit dropbox.service has failed
--
-- Unit dropbox.service has failed.
--
-- The result is failed.
======

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:47 am

The guidance you followed may be outdated.

Recommend you check the Dropbox site to see if there are any updates. If I find anything, I will let you know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

FuNKeR

Postby FuNKeR » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:58 am

If you are still interested in this: I have it running for two users on my HDA. I use it for photo sync and - not yet - automatic sorting.

This is the guide I followed to install Dropbox for both users: http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tri ... nvironment
I only let Dropbox sync the "Camera Uploads" folder by excluding all other folders like this:

Code: Select all

$ ~/bin/dropbox.py exclude add ~/Dropbox/Apps ~/Dropbox/Start.exe
and so on

The photos are then moved to a share (/mnt/samba/secure/, mount_shares_locally is required for this) with this bash script executed by the cron deamon every ten minutes.
The executed script is located at /root/scripts/ so I don't have to mess around with the permissions.

#!/bin/bash # /root/scripts/db_photomove.sh shopt -s nullglob shopt -s dotglob # To include hidden files files1=(/home/user1/Dropbox/Camera\ Uploads/*) if [ ${#files1[@]} -gt 0 ]; then rsync --omit-dir-times -a --progress --remove-source-files /home/user1/Dropbox/Camera\ Uploads/ /mnt/samba/secure/pictures/; fi
Edit the crontab as root:

$ crontab -e
Crontab:

10 * * * * /root/scripts/db_photomove.sh
The advantage is that Dropbox knows which photos have already been synced so it does not sync them again and again and again when they were moved out of the Dropbox.

EDIT: I'm on Fedora 19 btw.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 am

Could you add this to the Amahi Wiki page for Dropbox? We would greatly appreciate it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

FuNKeR

Postby FuNKeR » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am

I just signed up for the Wiki. I hope to get the information into it asap. Any page recommended I should put it on?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:35 pm

Your account was approved.

I recommend you put the guidance on the Dropbox wiki page. If you feel the current guidance there is outdated or no longer valid, please remove it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager