SOLVED: Apache SVN Config Problem

khoji

SOLVED: Apache SVN Config Problem

Postby khoji » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:04 am

The Apache SVN configuration instructions on the Amahi Wiki appear to be out of date so I'm just doing a non-webapp install based on these instructions here:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/

Almost everything went fine. I can log into the test repository with a web browser and it queries the user credentials correctly and shows an empty repo on revision 0. But I run into a wall on the creation of the repository folders with the command:

Code: Select all

svn import -m 'Initial import' /tmp/svn-structure-template/ http://localhost/svn/testrepo/
It prompts correctly for the user credentials, but then I get the error:

svn: E160013: '/svn/testrepo/!svn/me' path not found

Originally, it told me that it couldn't read the configuration line with the same strange path reference, but that went away when I chmodded the entire repo to g+w so that the group had write permissions, which I had hoped was the problem.

Any ideas what is causing this?
Last edited by khoji on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Apache SVN Config Problem

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:28 am

Hard to say. Could it be the special character in the path?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

khoji

Re: Apache SVN Config Problem

Postby khoji » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:52 am

Hard to say. Could it be the special character in the path?
Not in any paths that I created or referenced. That's what makes it strange.

However, I just discovered the solution: For some reason Apache also needs an alias to the repository location, in addition to the SVNParentPath reference in the <Location> tag. It needs to be added to the subversion.conf file just before the <Location block, like this:

Code: Select all

LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so LoadModule authz_svn_module modules/mod_authz_svn.so LoadModule dontdothat_module modules/mod_dontdothat.so alias /svn /var/www/svn <Location /svn> DAV svn SVNParentPath /var/www/svn AuthType Basic AuthName "Subversion repositories" AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-users Require valid-user </Location>
This is a little strange, because I thought that this would be handled by the Location block: the /svn in the opening tag provides the subdirectory in the URL and SVNParentPath provdes the DAV reference for the actual location on the disk.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: SOLVED: Apache SVN Config Problem

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 am

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Sorry I did not see that. This is normal for Apache.

If you have time and are willing, please update the wiki guidance. There will be other users who are trying to do the same thing.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

khoji

Postby khoji » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 am

If you have time and are willing, please update the wiki guidance. There will be other users who are trying to do the same thing.
I don't think I should do that because that's not the method I used. The wiki explains how to set up svn as an Amahi webapp, which doesn't work for me at the moment since I'm not using Amahi's DNS and DHCP, for a number of reasons. I used the instructions on this site to set up vanilla Apache SVN on Amahi's Fedora 19:

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/

These instructions work fine on the current Amahi as long as you add the alias. Maybe someone familiar with the webapp approach on the wiki could check whether something needs to be changed there as well... 8-)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:07 am

Understand.

Is it possible for you to add the reference you used and maybe some info that might help others who would perform this setup? Your experience would be beneficial, especially for those who have the same network configuration as you do.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

khoji

Postby khoji » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 am

Is it possible for you to add the reference you used and maybe some info that might help others who would perform this setup? Your experience would be beneficial, especially for those who have the same network configuration as you do.
I just tried that and spent quite a while setting up a wiki account and waiting for confirmation. Now it just got rejected so I guess that's that... :roll:

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 am

Please reapply and mention I asked you to contribute to the wiki. The reject was likely due to SPAM prevention.

I will monitor and approve it once you reapply.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

khoji

Postby khoji » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks! Done.