IPSec VPN -- general information

Tcichowicz

IPSec VPN -- general information

Postby Tcichowicz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 am

I've installed IPSec VPN and clients on my iPhone & PC (running ipseca.exe) software.

Everything seems to work as expected as far as connecting ... with both clients. I can also access my Amahi HDA -via a web browser as if I was on my own network - remotely.

Where I'm getting confused is when I try and access anything else OTHER than my HDA. For example to try and access my router - http://192.168.2.1/ doesn't work. I also tried a fully qualified name http://router.myname.amahi.net -- nothing. I have several other servers running different apps as well which down't work either.

I was hoping/expecting this VPN to work the way my 'Work' VPN works... I can use any application as if I was on that network. For example I could use Remote Desktop to connect to one of my PCs on my network. I tried that and none of them connect.

what confuses me is if I try to ping different hosts one resolves to a local IP the other an external ???
Attachments
cmd_ping.PNG
cmd_ping.PNG (17.65 KiB) Viewed 1760 times

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: IPSec VPN -- general information

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:43 am

Did you check the wiki for guidance?
Https:// wiki.amahi.org

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Did you check the wiki for guidance?
Https:// wiki.amahi.org

[ Post made via Android ] Image

yes.. and I also found an earlier post from you mentioning that I think what I'm getting is normal related to ONLY being able to connect to the HDA box/ services via http.

that sux.. not the VPN I was expecting.

I have since disabled most apps, the DHCP server - and primarily only using the NAS functionallity.

the torrent app Transmission - seems broke - every .torrent file I feed it it claims it's corrupt. yet I copy it to my other client and it works fine??? I was going to test out the SABnzbd client, but I already wasted $10 on VPN apps that disappointed. I can't see paying for SABnzbd which has been FREE for every other platform and linux distro I installed.

getting closer to shutting her down ... as I already have a Synology NAS that is pulling it's weight as a NAS.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Any reason you have not tried OpenVPN? I know it does allow for access to other systems in the network.

May I ask as to why you have disabled apps and DHCP?

BTW, the reason we have a fee for some apps is to help support Amahi. If all you need is a file server, then Amahi might not be right for you.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2