RESOLVED: VNC doesn't start automatically

nedhedrick

RESOLVED: VNC doesn't start automatically

Postby nedhedrick » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:23 am

I just installed the VNC app on my Amahi server (7.0.4-1).

First issue: the VNC "server" must be manually started after a re-boot of the Amahi server. This isn't a big issue since it can be manually started from the web GUI. More of an inconvenience.

Second: After the VNC server is started, I cannot connect. I found the problem...there is no automatic login or start of the desktop after a re-boot of the Amahi server. An attached display shows the TTY login prompt. I can only use VNC if I use an attached monitor-keyboard-mouse to login and startup the desktop. Is this by design, or did I miss something in the setup?

Thanks in advance!

Ned Hedrick

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: VNC doesn't start automatically

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:54 pm

It should work upon install. Please check /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log for errors. Also what type of Amahi install did you do? Was it the Express CD or other method?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nedhedrick

Postby nedhedrick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:18 pm

I was under the impression it should just work, based on the doc.

It was an Express CD install. I also added the GUI desktop per the WIKI immediately after the install. The VNC installation was months later. Perhaps that is the issue?

Ned

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I would venture to say that is the issue. The app works after install, but doing the manual desktop guidance in the wiki may have caused some issues.

Not sure if you can remove what was installed based on the wiki guidance now. May require a new install. Never a good idea to mix two VNC solutions.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nedhedrick

Postby nedhedrick » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:37 am

Well, the situation just seems to get stranger. Here's what I've done:

1. Attempted to back out (uninstall) the Amahi VPN app, then the GUI I had installed previously. Still no luck getting VPN app installed after this. This one was not really a surprise.

2. Re-installed Amahi 7 from scratch, then attempted install of VPN app. I get this error which I cannot get past: "This app failed to install :-( We REALLY HATE that.This could be due to a bug, slow failed network, app bug or other changes to the system."

3. Re-installed Amahi from scratch again. This time updated using "yum update", thinking maybe something had been fixed since original release. Then tried again to install VPN. Same error as in (2).

Not sure where to turn if the app won't install on a "fresh" system. Note that I did install a couple of other apps successfully.

Can anyone offer any clues?

Thanks!

Ned

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:19 pm

So which is it, VPN or VNC? Did you check the logs? Look in /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log file for errors.

Reinstalling the OS does not solve the problem. We need to find the root cause so a solution can be provided.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

nedhedrick

Postby nedhedrick » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 pm

My apologies...fingers out of touch with brain...in too much of a hurry when I was typing.

It is VNC.

Will check for log info...

Ned

nedhedrick

Postby nedhedrick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:13 am

OK...here we are...log entries are below.

======= app install begin @ 2014-11-10 15:51:31 -0600 ==========
Installing app id k7q32dwinp under /var/hda/platform/html/script/.. ENV=production
======= app install begin @ 2014-11-11 10:23:25 -0600 ==========
Installing app id k7q32dwinp under /var/hda/platform/html/script/.. ENV=production
ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@4.service' '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vncserver@4.service'
App: VNC installed
======= app install end @ 2014-11-11 10:27:47 -0600 ==========

First install attempted on 11/10, waited for about 5 minutes or so, then displayed failed message on installation screen.

Second install attempted on 11/11. Very quickly came back to display failed message...only a couple of seconds. But according to log, it went ahead and completed. Also, noticed that VNC is now included on "Servers" display. Did a manual restart to get it going, and it works just fine!

So, any thoughts on what may have happened? The only thing I could figure is the first install perhaps triggered some kind of timeout and never completed. Second install displayed the error but continued to work in the background. Only conjecture, I know, but I guess it makes the most sense to me.

I'm just thrilled that it's working!

Ned

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Glad it's working now. What may have happened is it timed out while installing or there was an OS update check simultaneously that caused a conflict.

Either way, happy it's good now.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager