Using Amahi with existing Active Directory

noahod

Using Amahi with existing Active Directory

Postby noahod » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 am

Hi,

I currently have set up at home a windows 2008 active directory & Microsoft Exchange set up on one machine, for learning about stuff before I have to apply them at work. (IT admin)

As such I need some way to use my server '08 DNS on my client machines, or they can't see the domain and login.

Is there a way I can use Amahi without it taking over my network DNS and DHCP? I can't figure out a way of getting to the web-apps without the DNS?

Thanks,
Noah

cpg
Administrator

Re: Using Amahi with existing Active Directory

Postby cpg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:48 am

hi,

you can make aliases (if it's the same domain), or you can point the amahi DNS server to resolve through your server 08 dns instead of opendns.

pointing the amahi hda to resolve involves touching the internal amahi database, which is dangerous.

you can use the command line with mysql or something like phpmyadmin:

Code: Select all

bash$ mysql -u root -p hda demo_development mysql> update settings set value='YOURNEWDNS1' where name='external-dns1'; mysql> update settings set value='YOURNEWDNS2' where name='external-dns2';
where you obviously put your new settings in YOURNEWDNS1/2, which are presumably local. you should see:

Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec) Rows matched: 1 Changed: 1 Warnings: 0
after that then you issue this for the settings to take effect (or reboot):

service hdactl stop service hdactl start
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

finalx233

Postby finalx233 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:18 am

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is the only relevent post/information about this issue. I'd like to know if this solution is still vable with the current version of Amahi. I have an AD DC with DNS/DHCP on Win 2008 R2 and would like to keep using them. Problem is I'm not comfortable with Linux at all and I'm not sure how to manage the Apache web server nor configuring the DNS server that's bundled with Amahi. So I was wondering if the solution presented here is still good for making Amahi resolve through my DNS server.

Thank you.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:30 am

you can use

$ hda-change-dns Usage: hda-change-dns <dns1 ip address> <dns2 ip address> Pass the full IP address of your two new DNS servers
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

finalx233

Postby finalx233 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks, I have a problem though. When I install apps like Webmin or any others, I can't access them (e.g it automatically sends me to a "Not found page" with the adress http://webmin.mydomain). Even after I used the hda-change-dns successfuly, if I reboot Fedora, my ethernet connection's DNS is changed back to Amahi's IP Address. I already disabled DHCP, do I have to disable Amahi's DNS too? I had to manually an A record for Amahi in my DNS server. I don't really know how to manage Apache..

Thanks for the help!

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

your client needs to use your HDA as DNS server.

try the amahi network troubleshooter.