Sorry, I meant to do:

Code: Select all

service adito status
If it's not running, you can try to start it by doing:

service adito start
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rdagijones

Re: OpenVPN Stopped

Postby rdagijones » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:13 am

Adito is not running.
If I try to start the service it does not start. I just get
Starting Adito ...
but if I check the status Adito is not running. If I restart Adito (OpenVPN ALS) from the Amahi dashboard the dashboard reads that OpenVPN ALS is started but checking the status in terminal reports otherwise. Once I reflesh the status on the dashboard it once again reports that OpenVPN ALS is stopped.
Is there a log that I can check to find the problem?

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 am

Could this bug have something to do with my problem?
https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1204

What can I check to diagnose what is going on?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 am

What I would recommend is to uninstall OpenVPN and then reboot. Once it's back up, reinstall and see if that helps. As for OpenVPN ALS, an uninstall and reinstall may be required.

About the only diagnosis I can think of is to check log files in /var/log directory.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:56 pm

This is weird. I have an Amahi server at home and then I have set up some Amahi servers for some non profits for whom I do I. T. They work great for what they need. The last one I upgraded I used a new install code (per your suggestion, Bigfoot65) and OpenVPN and OpenVPN ALS services function. All of the others I used the Amahi 6 code in the upgrade and I am having trouble ... except one. One of the servers is rebuilt on Fedora 19 with its old code but it functions just fine. I did the exact same procedure for every server (except using a new code on the latest rebuilt.) They have all been rebuilt within the last two weeks, so I would assume that the app version for OpenVPN and OpenVPN ALS is the same. Why on earth would one server work fine with its old code when the others would not? Go figure.

I think I am going to make sure that they are rebuilt on new codes and see if that fixes all of these issues.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

That is odd.

Best practice would be to use new code in my opinion. That ensures you have the latest pieces on both ends.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 am

Here we go again. I rebuilt two of the HDAs on Fedora 19 with Amahi 7 using new codes. Installed OpenVPN app, installed OpenVPN ALS, configured settings and everything was working one week ago. I could log into each dashboard to ****.yourhda.com and into OpenVPN ALS (Adito) via https://****.yourhda.com. (**** is my dns name.) Now I cannot get into OpenVPN ALS. When I go on the dashboard to Settings > Servers OpenVPN and OpenVPN ALS are stopped. If I click "Restart" on OpenVPN nothing changes. I can restart OpenVPN ALS from the dashboard but when I refresh its status the service is stopped. Apparently it is not restarting.

systemctl status openvpn@amahi.service
returns that the service is active but the dashboard still reflects that the service is stopped. I have done

chmod 755 -R /var/run/openvpn
according to this bug https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1204 and restarted the HDA. The dashboard still shows that the service is stopped if the HDA is restarted do to the fact that permissions are reverted back to 710 (drwx--x--- root:openvpn). Anyone know how to make this permanent? Bigfoot65 has pointed this out on the bug report.

service adito status
returns "Adito is not running." and

service adito start
shows no errors on terminal but still get "Adito is not running."

About a week ago, I uninstalled and reinstalled OpenVPN ALS and reconfigured to get it running. Now it is doing this again. If I reinstall it again I can get the service running but I have to reconfigure everything. This is getting old.

Could it be that OpenVPN ALS is failing to restart due to the permisson issue causing the OpenVPN status bug on the dashboard or are the issues unrelated?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 am

Don't think the problems are related. OpenVPN ALS is Java based, so that's likely where there is a problem. We will have to check what version of Java is being used.

Keep in mind when this software was written, the Java we have today did not exist. Since development of this software was halted a few years ago, it may get to the point where it just won't work anymore.

This issue definitely requires more research. I have not had any issues with OpenVPN, so not sure why you do. Are all OS updates installed? Is there manual configuration changes done to these machines?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

rdagijones

Postby rdagijones » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:25 pm

My version of Java is 1.7.0_65. I will do some research and see if anyone else if having similar problems outside of the Amahi world.

Does the OpenVPN ALS app for Amahi install from a binary version or build it from source?

I also need to check if Ant is running when OpenVPN ALS fails. Would I go about this with this?:

service ant status
Last edited by rdagijones on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.