Need help on VPN & yourhda.com

mjclarke

Need help on VPN & yourhda.com

Postby mjclarke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:50 pm

I upgraded to Amahi 7 in the last year or so. I had OpenVPN working great with HDAConnect3 (Windows clients) under Amahi 6/Fedora 14. Since the upgrade to Amahi 7/Fedora 19, I cannot get VPN to work, and get the message that the address "user.yourhda.com" is bad/cannot resolve host. If I type "user.yourhda.com" into a browser from outside, I get the website cannot be found page. I used to be able to use that with the Apps Proxy app, or any app I set it up for. That no longer works.

I have gone through Network troubleshooter, and no issues. I have forwarded ports to my server from my router (80, 443, 4443). I can access my dashboard and make changes by entering my actual IP address (from Amahi Control Panel) into a browser from outside.

I also bought the IPSec VPN app, and installed client on my laptop. Same result, "unable to resolve server host".

I set up Ajaxplorer as my hosted webapp, as in the wiki for "hosting a single webapp", but no dice. I never had problems with this before with Amahi 6, what am I missing?

FYI, I am using Win 8.1 x64 for clients (My PC & laptop).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Need help on VPN & yourhda.com

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Hello,

First of all check to see that OpenVPN is running. I presume you installed the OpenVPN app. It's not integrated in Amahi 7 as it was in Amahi 6. We have separated it from the platform.
https://www.amahi.org/apps/openvpn

Do you have UDP 1194 set up on your router for OpenVPN? That is crucial to it working as well.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/OpenVP ... leshooting

The user.yourhda.com is not part of the OpenVPN functionality. When connected with VPN, you enter hda.amahi.net or whatever your domain would be. That should bring up your dashboard.

In order to use the user.yourhda.com as you want, you have to do the web app guidance as indicated in the wiki. You only need to forward port 80 to the HDA IP address. It is specific to only one web app, unless you have a hosting service set up. Then you can use CNAMEs on the host to use multiple apps.

The use if user.yourhda.com and OpenVPN or IPsec VPN are completely separate entities. They can function together, but how you use them is different.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Yes, Installed from the Apps list in Dashboard. Says running in the dashboard, but checked via terminal (systemctl status openvpn@amahi.service) and said it was dead. Saw in another post to change permissions (chmod 755 -R /var/run/openvpn), then restarted and now the terminal shows it as loaded and active. That could have been the problem. Ports are (and were) forwarded to my server on router. As I understand it, if they weren't, my IP address would lead to the router log in page instead of my dashboard when outside the network.

On both windows VPN clients (HDAConnect3 & Shrew Soft Client) user.yourhda.com is used as the server name. So while I understand that they are separate, the client seems to connect through or using it somehow. Regardless, it is not working as it should and I need to fix that as well, because I want to also access an app using it, as I have in the past. What could be the issue there?

I'll check my VPN when I am outside my network and see if it is working, but I suspect it won't if the yourhda.com link remains dead.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Could it be possible that it's blocked by a firewall or your ISP? Those are common areas to check.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:48 pm

I suppose ISP is possible. Everything worked in Amahi 6, and I've had the same everything since (service, router, etc.) I've changed some internal stuff (switch, WiFi) but that shouldn't effect outside, because it should come to the server through the router. The only thing I changed on Amahi was the gateway from what I used before. I didn't see anything on the router firewall in the router settings that I thought could be an issue. How can I check for ISP blockage?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Can you hit your user.yourhda.com and see the dashboard now?

I had this happen once and I had to reboot my network and clear the browser cache.

There are port tools on the internet that will ping your connection and let you know if the port is accessible too.
http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Although not 100% accurate, they are close.

UPDATE: There could also be a conflict with using OpenVPN and IPsec VPN. Maybe unisntall IPsec VPN and just try OpenVPN first. Need to get it working before moving to the other.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 pm

On http://www.canyouseeme.org/, Port 80 was reported as seen. What would I need to do to reboot network. Anything other than restarting everything?

UPDATE: Uninstalling IPSec VPN now.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Yea just restart everything.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

mjclarke

Postby mjclarke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 pm

OK, rebooted and cleared browser. Still not connecting to yourhda.com link. Does it only work outside the network? I thought it still would connect inside, but it's been a while since I had set it all up in Amahi 6. Checked OpenVPN via terminal in VNC, loaded and active after reboot.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Typically it will only work outside the network.

It used to be that you had to connect via a client that did not have the same subnet as your HDA. For example, you cannot connect to a 192.168.1.x network from another 192.168.1.x network.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager