accessing applications by ip and port

aamer

accessing applications by ip and port

Postby aamer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

I have to use the dhcp on my router (for various reasons) and I don't want to point my router to amahi's DNS either. Just bought my first app (Amahi DLNA) and realized that I can't access it. Did not realize that I can't access app if I don't don't do DHCP or point router to amahi's DNS.

Then I saw a few threads trying to access apps using port numbers in the URL e.g. 192.168.1.99:8002 etc.

1: Can someone tell me if I'd like to access Amahi DLNA using a port number in the URL, what the default port is for Amahi DLNA?

2. If tomorrow I have more apps, is there any way to find out what port a particular app is on?

Appreciate any help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: accessing applications by ip and port

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:18 am

Using IP address and port will not work for most apps. Many of them are on port 80 as is the dashboard. Recommend you point your router DNS to the HDA for both primary and secondary.

See the FAQ below for more info on not using the HDA as the DHCP/DNS server.
http://www.amahi.org/faq#is-dhcp-server-required

BTW, DLNA is not a web app per say. It streams media to your network. The web UI only tells you how many Pictures, Videos, and Music files there are being streamed. So if you cannot access the page, it's no big deal. The streaming is the important part of the puzzle.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2